Uncommon interview question

How would you answer the following question?

Sell the worst part of yourself for five dollars!
You have one minute to pitch the selling of the worst part of yourself.

To do that, you must be:
persuasive
charismatic
display technical knowledge
friendly

Thanks in advance,

mt

A part of the body?

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

“Excuse me sir, can I interest you in a complete inability to tolerate bullshit interview questions?”

23 Likes

Actually the question is not that weird. Essentially he is asking what is your weakness. (A very standard question). What you need is to pitch your weakness as a strength. That is, for eg, i can get stuck sometimes on the details of a problem and not seem to make much progress on solving the problem because i am busy with the small details. But in my experience, this has been a unique strength because i can find holes in the design when others are just thinking about how to implement the design. Instead of wasting time writing code for a design that is not complete or has a flaw, i am able to identify the issues and save the much more increased cost of going back to fix the design after coding has started.

7 Likes

Rate this answer: …

The worst part of me would probably be my “awkward” or “geeky” social skills.

This “bad part” of me is the reason behind my early life curiosity towards anything and everything related to engineering, (from my spring loaded toy cars to motorcycles and sport’s cars).

That same curiosity provided my affinity or talent in my engineering degree.

That degree nurtured my admiration and understanding of the scientific methodology of exact sciences.

Exact sciences like CS, allowing me to pick up on today’s “digital infrastructure” with such natural ease.

1 Like

mmm, to be honest, it sounds like a book… Try to come up with a way of describing your weakness that makes it relateable (ideally you want the interviewer to think they also have that weakness or at least make them feel superior! :slight_smile:

For eg. when you started talking about early life, you didn’t give any real example, try finding one , like a specific toy(s) and describe what you mean by curiosity in that respect.

or you could go into more detail when you say ‘talen in my eng. degree’ , what did you mean by talent? Good marks? Give us an example so we can relate to you.

1 Like

So, how many “popular” kids did you know in highschool? :wink:

That part has to go as reference to “problematic” personal topics are frowned upon when addressing a possible employer.(not only from an interviewer’s perspective, but also from a legal standpoint)

As i understand it, talent is the aptitude towards specific skills without obvious effort.
All I did in college was write down teachers class (lecture, engineering formulas, the works) so effectively memorizing everything I needed to “nail” down any tests may occur. There’s not much homework when you perform that way :slight_smile:

So you see if i take my time to justify everything i claim here I’ll just probably gonna miss my one minute mark :smile: .

Besides interviewer questions are most welcomed.

Rate this answer V 2.0 : …

One of my attributes I’m not most proud of, would probably be my soft skills.

The deficit of social interaction is the reason behind my natural curiosity towards anything and everything mechanical, (from spring loaded toy cars to motorcycles and sport’s cars).

That same curiosity is what lead me to interact with said artifacts by taking them apart and putting them back together, in such a way that would not raise any issues with their functionality or usability.

Those early interactions provided the aptitude for my engineering degree.

That degree nurtured my admiration and understanding of the scientific methodology of exact sciences.

Exact sciences like Computer Science, allowing me to pick up on today’s digital infrastructure with such natural ease.

Define, Measure, Quantify, Manage and Improve where known principles to me, long before ITIL standards (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) came to my knowledge.

So, in essence, my deficit on soft skills is my aptitude in software engineering.

One minute to the second!

Protip: don’t emphasise that you have no social skills in an interview situation, you are trying to get hired and the people hiring you generally have to consider whether they want to work with you. Corollary to that is that, if done carefully, it may be ok to state it in a self-deprecating, jokey way, as doing that then implies the opposite.

3 Likes

It’s personal, that isn’t allowed. Accuse them of milions dolars.:rofl:

1 Like

May the SCO (force) be with us!

UPDATE: Interview went so well, we didn’t made it to this question XD

2 Likes

“I don’t think about what I’m worst at. That would take me a very long time to figure out, so I can’t answer your question. The closest answer I can give you is that I wouldn’t want to sell it, because I believe the worst parts of ourselves are essential because they keep us growing. If a weak point interferes with my goals along the way, I improve it until it no longer does.”

Silly answer? I guess so. But I really do believe it’s a silly and cheap question. Something along the lines of “Tell us why we shouldn’t hire you”. To which, again, my answer would be “I won’t”. haha. :smiley:

I personally feel like the whole thing of pitching your weakness as a strength would be a bit of a cliche. It would be expected, it would be common. Those, I believe, are not the things you want your interview or answers to be like. A long time ago, it might have been smart to do that, but now-a-days I feel like if I was an interviewer, it’d make me a bit nauseous to hear that cliche. That’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

“Am I applying for a sales job? I thought it was a developer job.”

4 Likes

The amount of silly and cheap request I had from employers over the years are far greater than the ones I’m willing to admit. But overall we’re on the same page here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Glad to read that the interview went well! Over the course of several interviews for my current job that type of question never came up and it was a detail that helped me decide to take that job over another. Its one of those things that’s almost cliche and basically did you research/prepare for this question or not. Most times the answer sounds super scripted and I don’t think adds any value to the process (but some possible awkwardness). Just my opinion, but I think it really is a silly question. :pineapple:

1 Like

What if I said
"I do not like being told what I already know. I don’t fancy repetitions that much. I often see it as a waste of my time. This is not to say that I’m not patient or accommodating. I don’t just like it when people state the obvious to me "

I have a feeling that response isn’t too good. There’s a touch of pride, attitude and impatience

2 Likes