UX Feedback for FCC

Is there a way to view your answers to algorithms and challenges on FCC? When I go back to the algo/challenge, it does’t allow me to see my solution. I see now you can download your solution, but I think they should get saved automatically.

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a community of millions of people, FCC does not store every solution to every challenge in its database. When you complete a challenge, there is a modal that gives you the option to download your solution. This gives you the option to save a copy of any solution that you may want to reference later. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then your local storage has been cleared or something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

From a UX POV, I think every solution should be saved in a separate tab. I think it would be easier rather than going back and not knowing where my solution went. It’s almost 2020…there should be enough room for storage. The other obnoxious thing is that they want me to contribute money despite not having a tech job. Once I get a tech job, I can contribute money.

the storage was growing 1GB per day one year ago when the change was made, now there are many more users.
freecodecamp wants to stay free, so they removed the saving of the solutions
you don’t have to pay, it’s free - the pop up is there reminding people that any help is appreciated

HI Brian,
I’m not sure what could be easier than clicking a ticked item on a list to see your solution. Why add extra clicks?

Your not a FOSS user, are you? With FOSS systems and services, we are grateful that it exists at all. We are in no position to demand anything. We can make suggestions but to state that …

I think that’s a bit obnoxious itself, really. Why would you complain that someone else isn’t prepared to pay for you to store your stuff? As nice as it would be, FCC is not a large corporation with millions of dollars floating around to offer such nice things. Besides, how does FCC know what kind of job you have? Blame Google and Facebook for the freeloader attitude that everything should be free on the internet. Oh, but would you really like to be stalked by Google ads to get a gig of storage? I know I wouldn’t.
You have chosen to use a free platform to learn from, but you are welcome to spend money on Udemy, Treehouse and all of the others to get your stored solutions. Yes, they demand payment. FCC does no such thing.

I think that had you spent more time around FOSS, you would know how these systems and services work.

As I work through the FCC challenges in the FCC environment, I practise many of the challenges using an independent editor, trying not to look at the solution on FCC, and store my practice attempts locally. That way, I can check that the challenge works on FCC and have my own local copy.

I hope you can continue to work through FCC and value what it offers.
All the best.

1 Like