Was doing well last year but got to javascript

I was doing well last year then I got towards the end of the basic javascript challenges which ended up getting difficult. I started to lose motivation. Sat there for time not being able to figure out what to do. I have spent quite a few years now trying to get good at this but honestly at this point I guess I’m just letting myself down now.

There are a ton of very knowledgeable people right here in this forum that are more than willing to help.

2 Likes

Hey @BlazeRetro ,

I’m a bit lazy right now :rofl: , anyways, I have answered this question here:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s totally normal.

Can you describe a situation you recently experienced?

JavaScript sounds like your first language. Learning to code is tiring. Algorithms are as difficult as learning the basics of the JavaScript syntax, though algorithms are part of the language.
As one sits without getting closer, time drags on and inspiration leaks out. It is hard to sit with the problem and to ask for help. Sometimes it seems like people answering questions dislike the people asking, having heard it all before. From comments on the forum, it seems like the expectation is for an original solution. As I roved decoding solutions by line in the JavaScript algorithms, easy to challenging, the number of hours I stared at documentation, notes, and solutions increased. I would decode one line and forget an earlier used variable’s meaning. As that continued, I realized that I did not have to understand every shorthand reference to an object each time. I cried at the end of the projects.
One’s original projects can seem to get further away the more one learns. “If the basics are this hard, I will never get to Cash Register, React, and Python.” Snazzy maxims help commiserate. Aristotle said, “The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.” The more one struggles, the deeper they get in these axioms on learning. Socrates said, “I know that I know nothing.” Maybe they would say that about JavaScript if they were with you.
I went on to Sass, the next unit with the fear of being unable to contrive my own complete solutions. That chapter and the next provided a breather and time to ask how much I needed to know to progress, something to look forward to for you. After I showed my JavaScript decoding skills to someone by taking them through my thought process on an intermediate challenge, they told me that being able to understand solutions and create any amount of one was satisfactory. You do not have to be held to being able to produce your own working solutions in two hours with minimal struggle to know “enough.”
Due to having reviewed some chapters of JavaScript algorithms, I had learned that repeated passes sunk in the knowledge. From that point, I could understand how people with previous coding experience had an easier time than a code newbie. I would tell my earlier self that they had it hard, and the earlier self would not get it. Levels do not correlate with the effort a person will put into them.
I struggled on the intermediate algorithms my partial second time through while noting great improvement based on the original attempt. Maybe for those new to code there is a beginner stage where one can repeat the lesson and not type much, the intermediate beginner where someone can type more but little, and so on. There are different expectations for each person. At each level of algorithm on the first pass, not every person can expect to create a solution in a couple hours with a light mood without tumbling self-doubt. Not everyone’s learning style is represented and presented.
Because it sounds likek you want to, I will end with some belief in you. If you have what it takes to struggle, you have what it takes to succeed. You are trying and this is what you want. The JavaScript challenges are a low point for those unaccustomed to algorithms. It does not matter how long something you want to learn takes if your desire to have that knowledge overcomes the time. If what you want to do is keep running, you will draw in the help necessary to pick yourself up from letting yourself down.

4 Likes

Thanks for the message, much appreciated. Sorry for the late response. I have been struggling with depression but I’m determined to continue pushing on! Your words have given me strength.

Kind regards

Wayne Johnson

2 Likes

We might not be able to encourage you through your dark times, but man this group can be really encouraging for people who need the help to continue programming.

But I will keep you in my prayers this week because coming to your post I got an answer I didn’t think I needed myself. I also struggle with mental health and I totally get it. But we’re not alone. @crystalio303 's advice is boss advice. And so is @Catalactics 's advice.

1 Like

Whew! you didn’t leave. I am glad to hear you are doing what you intended and still want to do. Older posts and users are going to be around as the spirits pick back up. I feel pressure for me to not give up telling you that. Hoping for it, I think we will do okay.

HI @BlazeRetro !

I have also struggled with depression on and off for years.
The main thing that has helped me is to take breaks when things get to crazy.

After I come back from a break, I feel rejuvenated to get back to work.

Also, try not to compare yourself with others progress. That will just fuel the depression more.

Just remember that you have accomplished a lot so far and you have decided to take on the challenge of learning how to code.

That is no easy task and most people would never try.

Be proud of what you have done so far and your resilience to keep going.
Just take it day by day.
If you need help, you know where to find us :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.