What are the best courses for Android developer to become a full-stack developer?

I am Android developer and I have a good foundation of OOP in Java and Android, I want to become a full-stack web developer using MEAN stack, but I feel like FCC is moving very slow for me as it was intended for beginner.
So, can you tell me what is the best course to pick up web development quickly?

1 Like

Hey @Yehia961 I would recommend focusing on the projects. Regardless of your prior skill level the projects are undoubtedly what seem like the best way to learn. Getting your hands dirty with the tools man!

I think there is no limit in which your could take the projects either, it can completed at a beginner standard or a professional standard. For example your personal portfolio could be as intricate http://www.kaisersosa.com/, you don’t have to complete them as a bare minimum to the given spec, set your own challenges. Try picking up a preprocessor one challenge to spice things up.

I honestly don’t know of a better free resource than FreeCodeCamp, it is an awesome platform and curriculum. It provides you with a progressive guide and direction into learning the MEAN stack, and the community is an incredible source of feedback and encouragement (which in my opinion is intrinsic to maintaining motivation and sanity when embarking on self study).

Best of luck,
Allan

1 Like

I would agree with much of the above. In beta.freecodecamp.com go through the npm, basic node and express, and mongodb challenges and then the api projects.

also would recommend MERN (react instead of angular) before MEAN, though just an opinion, and the fact that fcc has an alpha for react challenges here: http://hysterical-amusement.surge.sh/

if you don’t mind me asking what resources would you recommend for Android? I’ve done some toy stuff, and java was my second language a long time ago, but seems resources are scattered so i haven’t built any projects to reinforce concepts and build ‘muscle-memory’ like i do here on fcc.

2 Likes

Thank for your answer, I think the best resource for Android is Udacity Android Nanodegree but it’s not free (Although, you can enroll in the courses for free) and it needs a prior experience with Java.

I wanted to know your opinion about me leaving Android in favor of Web, do you think that this is the right choice or should I stick with Android?

Oh lots of opinions to follow for that question I’m sure. Whatever is your ‘bread and butter’ I would say. And if you’re finding yourself more into web than android, and can afford to take the time to make web your specialty then go for it. Otherwise, take the learning process slow until you can jump in full throttle.

Some say mobile is taking over, others say web will BE mobile; just hasn’t caught up to the native (system) aspects of user interaction.

The only thing I would say to this is that I think that native Android development skills are more scarce, whilst web development skills are more plentiful. However! The vast majority of software development work seems to be making stuff for the web. It would be interesting to see numbers for supply to demand in both these spaces, but alas! I do not have them.

I wouldn’t necessarily look at it as a fork in the road (although, I can see why it might be considered one, especially when you go into the depths of mastering a technology). I think as a software engineer / developer, it would serve you well to have experience dabbling in both. No effort is wasted, nothing gained is reversed!

Good luck

1 Like

also would recommend MERN (react instead of angular) before MEAN, though just an opinion, and the fact that fcc has an alpha for react challenges here: http://hysterical-amusement.surge.sh/

Thank you @rudolphh for sharing this! It’s the first I’ve seen of it and I’d appreciate a bit of a preamble before jumping into the React projects.

yw @AllanPooley, yeah i don’t think many have but it was really to the point and helped me complete a couple of front-end projects in react. i did codeacademy for react first, but these challenges (as usual with fcc) just seemed to flow with the progression of building on each new concept, and were easy to reference when i needed help.