What are the use cases of nano

Hello everyone!!
i’ve just finished the learn nano by building a castle course ,it was a bit fun ,however i didn’t get what the use case of such a program other than drawing something in the terminal , should i learn more about it ?

Interesting question.

It is a text editor and so you can install it on your Linux OS and use it for writing shell scripts or doing quick edits to a file.
There is no requirement that says you must know it or use it though.

I checked your post because I saw “nano” and I was curious.

nano is wonderful in that it’s small and lightweight. Also, it’s easily approachable to newcomers to the command line. Even hardcore vim users will sometimes use nano to quickly edit a config file.

2 Likes

It’s just a text editor, so same usecase as any other text editor (Vim, Emacs, VSCode, Sublime, Notepad, etc etc etc).

That it’sextremely lightweight is probably it’s most obvious characteristic, and that it’s just for editing text (not for, say, viewing git diffs or whatever), and that it works from the terminal. There isn’t much more to it than that! You have some text, you want to edit it, you can use Nano to do so.

2 Likes

To be That Guy, it’s not meant expressly for editing previously existing text.

1 Like

thank you guys , your insight was really helpful , so nano is fast light wight text editor that we can use right in the terminal , what a useful tool , i really appreciate the informations .

do you mean it’s better using it for writing new text than editing ?

No. It’s a simple editor, meaning you can make simple files and edit files with it. So both writing and editing are possible.

As you progress, you’ll move into vim, emacs, or a gui solution (geany, vs code, vscodium, etc). But nano remains a nice, approachable tool. To the point the micro editor was forked from it, since it’s so easy to use.

1 Like