What is "The term not recognized as cmdlet, function..."?

Hello,

I am doing CS50 and am on Week 1 (that teaches C language). There David (the instructor) uses a prompt in command line called “make”. I use it on my own VS Code terminal and this error shows:

make : The term 'make' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that 
the path is correct and try again.

I heard that CS50 uses Linux. I use Windows. CS50 has a cloud version of their own of VS Code and I installed in on my pc. Now is it because different OS have different cmd prompts or just because I made some mistake?

Thank you for your time
Joyeta

Do you have the make program installed and added to your Windows 10 path? Because if not, you need to add it. Your local version of Windows right now has no idea of what you need. As such, it gave you this error message to let you know it has no idea what you are trying to do.

I recommend installing Make from the GNU Project to resolve your error. Make - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. In that case, different type of OS really didn’t have anything to do with this error right? (Asking just to confirm please don’t mind)

I’ll definitely try out your solution.

Joyeta

Hello!

If you keep running into problems because of the Linux/Windows differences, you can use Linux directly in your Windows OS:

Check “WSL2”. You have to go into the BIOS to enable virtual environments if you haven’t already, download a Linux distribution from the MS Store (I recommend Debian), and you are good to go.