What should beginners learn before managing a VPS?

I’m learning more about VPS and server management and I’m curious about what skills are most useful for beginners.

Should someone start with Linux commands, SSH, basic networking, server security, or something else?

I’d be interested to hear what experienced developers recommend learning first.

1 Like

Starting with basic Linux command line navigation and file permissions gives you the foundation you need. Once you can navigate directories, edit configuration files with nano or vim, and manage services with systemctl, move straight to SSH security.

For SSH, set up public key authentication immediately and disable password-based login as well as direct root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. That stops automated bot scans from guessing credentials.

Next, set up a firewall using UFW. Keep incoming traffic blocked by default, allow OpenSSH before enabling it so you do not lock yourself out, and open only the ports your application requires, like 80 and 443.

Finally, learning containerized deployment with Docker keeps things clean. Running services inside containers isolates dependencies from the host system, making updates, migrations, and backups much easier to manage.