What technologies do I need to learn to build a react native app that

Let’s say am planning out an app to allow users to watch movies with friends. How would I go about doing this? I want to use react-native but the solution can be completely web-based because I just want to understand the concepts and take it from there.

Well, I’m no expert, but since no one else has taken a whack at this…

Since you don’t give any indication about where you are learning-wise and since you don’t seem to even know where to start, I’m guessing that you are a beginner.

So, if that is the case, first you have to get some React Native skills. So, I would say that the first steps are:

1. Basic web dev
  2. React
  3. React Native

You need at least that to be able to start. If you do web based (a good place to start) then you will only need the first two steps.

Once you do that, you need to figure out how you will stream the video. There are libraries to help you with that. Then you need to figure out where to store these videos and on a server that will be fast enough to handle multiple streams. Or you need to figure out how to tap into and sync up and control a stream from somewhere else.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I really want to do this project to take my skills beyond building crud apps :sweat_smile:but am still wondering if I should just allow users to watch tv shows/movies only, instead of being able to watch them with friends. It seems really difficult and the only clue I’ve got is using sockets. My point is it will be simple to build out an app that will allow users to watch movies but I really want to improve but idk if I can build that specific feature.

but am still wondering if I should just allow users to watch tv shows/movies only, instead of being able to watch them with friends.

I would say to make the mvp, the simplest viable version of the app. You can add on later.

It seems really difficult and the only clue I’ve got is using sockets

Yeah, sockets can be used for this. Ultimately we’re talking about streaming. I would spend some time looking up things like “video streaming with javascript” or whatever.