What to do next, feeling a bit lost

Hello everyone, I’m 25 years old, from Portugal, i’m trying to make a career change from electromechanical engineering to web development. I started FCC lessons on 2, march of 2021. I finished the first 3 sections, the last being Front End Libraries on July 13.

After finishing a friend who has a college degree in IT gave me the advice to complete Brad Traversy course on udemy “React Front to Back” React Front To Back | Learn Hooks, Context API, MERN, and Redux | Udemy.

The first project went kinda ok, the problem is that i’m totally overwhelmed on the second, there is a bunch of things I have no idea about. Starting with using vs code, all the npm installs and files and everything, to the back end server and authentications, I don’t even grasp what I don’t know, I feel like i’m trying to take a too big of a step.

I’m asking for an advice on what to do, should I continue freeCodeCamp sections? What’s the real expectation of me getting a job? What do I need to know? I work a lot better with objectives.

FreeCodeCamp
Codepen
Github
Linkedin

Thank you, a lot.

Edit: Add my linkedin

… gave me the advice to complete Brad Traversy course on udemy “React Front to Back”

I haven’t done that course, but I’ve watched some Traversy videos and liked them a lot.

the problem is that i’m totally overwhelmed on the second

Yeah, that can happen.

using vs code

A very popular free code editor, I use it all the time. If you haven’t used a powerful code editor before, it might be a little confusing. I’m sure you can find some youtube videos to get you started. It’s not that complicated, so I think you’ll get it if you put in a little bit of time.

all the npm installs

Yeah, that confused me at first. The Node Package Manager (npm) just copies libraries that you’re going to need into a folder called node_modules so your code can have access to it to import it. It’s a little weird, but it will gradually make sense.

files and everything

I’m not sure what you mean here. Yeah, modern apps are usually built with bundlers that allow you to break your app into different files - and that do some other things.

to the back end server and authentications

Yeah, that confused me for a bit too. Doing servers - I didn’t really understand that until I built a few. I learned the basics of that through the FCC section on microservices. Authentication is a little further than that, I just learned that through doing it.

I don’t even grasp what I don’t know, I feel like i’m trying to take a too big of a step.

Yeah, we all know that feeling. Maybe spend a little time researching the basics. Read some articles and watch some videos. But also accept that you can’t learn everything perfectly and there will be times where you have to say, “OK, I don’t really understand what is happening here, but I’m trying to learn that other thing so I’m just going to take this on faith for now and come back to it later.” And some things took more than one pass for me to really understand.

But yeah, some of those tutorials assume to much knowledge and use (imho) too much complexity. Just

should I continue freeCodeCamp sections?

I’m a fan of that. Not to only do FCC, but I like using that as a framework. Learn that, then do things like Traversy. Maybe if you get stuck on FCC, do a side quest on something else. Traversy also has some free videos on YT.

What’s the real expectation of me getting a job?

My opinion is that if someone learns FCC (or something similar) and then spends time (6 months to 2 years - it depends on a lot of factors and I’m just pulling these numbers out of my butt) just building increasingly complicated apps and learning new things, and builds a good portfolio, gets a good resume, gets good a interviews, and aggressively applies for the right jobs… I think the prospects are pretty good. That’s what got me my job. #ymmv

What do I need to know?

The things that you’re learning. The things that Traversy is talking about, the things that FCC is talking about. Don’t think that there is some perfect path. You don’t know what you will end up doing so it is impossible to focus on what you will specifically need. But the more you learn, the easier it gets to learn more complicated things - so there is almost nothing that could be a complete waste of time.

I work a lot better with objectives.

Well, finishing things like FCC or the Traversy course - yeah, that is a good goal. And then after that, after you’ve gotten the basics down, set a goal of building some apps. They don’t have to be “great ideas” - well built apps are what impress hirers.

My advice is always to learn and build things. Keep doing that. When that gets boring, switch it up and build things and learn.

2 Likes
  1. Wow, coding is hard.
  2. It is not so hard, I am starting to get it.
  3. I am good. I don’t understand why people say it’s hard.
  4. Hmm, there are some things I don’t know.
  5. There are MANY things I don’t know.
  6. I have no idea how most of this works.
  7. I still have no idea, but at least I can make it do what I want.
3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean here. Yeah, modern apps are usually built with bundlers that allow you to break your app into different files - and that do some other things.

I’ve been thinking, maybe I need to get the notion of what tools I have for I want, like a diagram of how things work. How can you make a back end server, how can you authenticate, how can you create multiple pages in a website.

Yeah, we all know that feeling. Maybe spend a little time researching the basics.

Maybe that’s it, perhaps I don’t need to know exactly how everything works, but have “awareness” of why things are used.

And then after that, after you’ve gotten the basics down, set a goal of building some apps. They don’t have to be “great ideas” - well built apps are what impress hirers.

I actually have some ideas, gotta learn more tho. I’m going to pause Traversy course and jump back to FCC, maybe study the “diagram” to have a structural thinking of how everything connects. thank you a lot man!

Yeah, the drive to understand how it works is a good one but can e stifling too. There were plenty of times that I had to tell myself, “OK, I have a vague idea what this does and that’s going to have to accept that as good enough for now or I’ll never get anywhere.”

Well I found this video, which is what I was thinking about, leaving here in case anyone feels the same. Anyway, I’m applying to jobs, and we keep going.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.