Where to next? Move on?

I just finished the HTML, CSS (didnt take the certification, a bit more to go on the final projects) and Js courses(the fundamentals, have the certificate) on freecodecamp.
I dont know if I should go on to the frontend development libraries just yet.
I’ve seen a lot of other stuff like async , design patterns , etc… which arent there in freecodecamp . The lessons on stuff like Promises, Classes, filter, map, reduce and similar stuff were fine but covered too little. I would like to go more deeply into these. I know I got to keep building to learn but I just feel that tiny bit of dissatisfaction on not knowing more on these.

I know there are a lot of “good” places to learn these, but can someone point out to a specific tutorial that actually helped you get a better idea and knowledge on how to use these.

I heard recently that projects were the best way to learn and/or implement what you learned. Maybe research what projects utilize some of the things you want to learn more of. Good Luck [=

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile: , but it didnt answer my primary question though.

I dont know if I should go on to the frontend development libraries just yet.

Why not?

I’ve seen a lot of other stuff like async , design patterns , etc… which arent there in freecodecamp .

First of all, you mention Promises - that is an async pattern. Design patterns are hard to teach, imho, at least in a format like FCC. And I think they are easier to learn after you have a little experience, or with side reading.

The lessons on stuff like Promises, Classes, filter, map, reduce and similar stuff were fine but covered too little. I would like to go more deeply into these.

Yeah, FCC runs over things quickly. If you want, take little side quests to work more deeply on what you think you need. But I would also warn against perfectionism - you can’t learn it all completely and if you try, you won’t progress. Learning dev work involves a certain amount of “I kind of learned it and will develop my understanding as I go”.

I know I got to keep building to learn but I just feel that tiny bit of dissatisfaction on not knowing more on these.

Yeah, that’s a common feeling. I used to keep a notepad next to my computer. I would jot down things like “Promises”, “the reduce method”, etc. When I had a few hours on the weekend, I would do a deep dive on the topic and cross it off the list. But I tried not to break my forward momentum.

I know there are a lot of “good” places to learn these, but can someone point out to a specific tutorial that actually helped you get a better idea and knowledge on how to use these.

I’m a big fan of using FCC (or something like it) as the structure for learning. But take side quests when needed. I found youtube videos to be good and easy to find. Some are better than others.

I heard recently that projects were the best way to learn and/or implement what you learned.

But that is of course what FCC does. There are a bunch of lessons with individual challenges and then at the end of each cert are 5 projects.

Some people on the internet get into rants about “lessons suck” or “tutorials suck” and think the only way to learn is building things. If someone wanted to learn to build a house, would you tell them to just grab some lumber and nails and get started? Wouldn’t you want them to do a little research? Maybe try some smaller projects? Work their way up to it?

I think a mix is good. But in the beginning it is helpful to get some basics. Once you get done with the JS libraries I would also say to have a side project or two going, even if they suck at first. And once you get done with the curriculum, then lots and lots of projects can be a good thing. But I wouldn’t want someone that doesn’t know what a joist is or how to make a solid foundation to build a house.

There are a lot of crazy things on the internet. And unfortunately people have figured out that the more extreme the thing is, the more attention it will get. Take it all with a grain of salt, even what I say. :wink:

3 Likes

I would like to clarify a few things.

Sometimes I feel I dont have “knowledge of the hard stuff”. So I’m assuming that its totally fine to go to the next step without completely mastering some of those stuff mentioned before? If so then I guess, it doesnt hurt to try .

I see. When you mean a little experience, what all topics should someone know? Is it just having a strong foundation on basic javascript and maybe also on topics like the one’s mentioned before and knowing how things work and when to use it,etc… ?

I kinda get this, when I tried to make some small programs on my own, it was a similar feeling then.

Thats a good idea. I think I should keep a list of such stuff .

I actually completed those, so I wanted to know If there were any other sources where I could try working on some basic but cool projects.

I agree since those are good ways to improve your skills or level up.

Thanks for the reply btw :smile:

FCC had an article a few years back that lists some of The Best JavaScript Tutorials.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I did find a website called Exploring ES6 interesting.

I understand your discontent and prolly if i had an additional practice course on the particular topics you mentioned, it would have been easier for me, but personally, i stubbornely kept moving with the FCC courses and tackled those topics on the road, doing projects and challenges. Its innevitable, you will enter in situations when it would feel more fitting to use an advanced array method like filter, or reduce, or create objects via class syntax(you will have a need of multiple objects sharing similar properties and will recall of classes) and in such cases, you will put the project main goal aside and start solving your way in applying the specific technique, recalling lessons from FCC and additionally looking up sources on the internet and once, you solve such problem several times, you will adopt it in your arsenal of acquired skills. With less words, projects are way to expose yourself to tasks that involve skills you have yet to acquire and a good opportunity to do so.

1 Like
1 Like

Sometimes I feel I dont have “knowledge of the hard stuff” . So I’m assuming that its totally fine to go to the next step without completely mastering some of those stuff mentioned before? If so then I guess, it doesnt hurt to try .

“Mastering” is a hard word to define. But yeah, I don’t think you need to “master” it. I think you need a basic working knowledge, and some of that might be in progress. Like I said, take a few side quests. I just recommend keeping them short and getting back on track before too long. You will improve your understanding as you go.

When you mean a little experience , what all topics should someone know?

The topic was design patterns. I think it is easier to understand and learn those once you’ve had to design and build something (even something small).

You seem to want a checklist of things to “know”. That is not possible, partially because the list is going to be different in different situations and “to know” is not as simple as “yes/no”. There are 1000 shades of gray in there and especially when you consider the different aspects of the various topics.

There are no concrete, well-defined steps to “level up”. Just keep learning and growing. You kind of have to be learning several things at once. If you try to isolate and perfect, it will take forever.

I think you’re worrying about this too much. Just keep learning and building things. The rest will take care of itself.

1 Like

True, I think i’d be better off just taking things as they come and have fun .

:+1:

Those are some interesting words. I think I have to take the initiative to do more and more such stuff without losing focus on the main track.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.