Where are the Courses in this Site?

I actually do know that this is the forum and not the actual site. (If you don’t believe me, you can check my profile and you will see that I have completed half of the curriculum already, I am a forum moderator with over 500 posts, and very active on all parts of Free Code Camp, including the main site, forums, GitHub, Skype, cohorts, and occasionally Gitter).

I would have to disagree with that. :slight_smile:
Here is my opinion why Free Code Camp is not a “course”. And why a “course” is not just a bunch of challenges.

When I think of a course I think of something more than “a bunch of challenges that get harder and harder until you reach your goal.” A good programming course guides you how to code with more than just challenges. It teaches you programming theory. A good course should explain concepts in detail, give programming fundamentals, and teach you how things work. FCC is more about you teaching yourself to code through a set of challenges along a map, and this is why I do not like to call it a programming course. FCC teaches practical programming. Show me a place on FCC where it explains what HTML and CSS are, and why you need to use them. Show me a place where it explains what exactly a website is and web development/programming in general. What HTTP is. The basics of programming. Challenges can teach you some things, and show what you know, but it is not a structured “programming course”. Especially when you get past the front-end part, you will see that you will need an actual course to help you learn Node, React, etc. A lot of people struggle when they try to just use Free Code Camp, because they have learned practical programming with FCC and can pass a challenge, but they do not know programming theory - they could not explain how a website works, or create one outside of codepen, etc. I guess FCC is “technically” a course because it teaches things in progression, but you need additional material that actually helps you understand programming not just show that you can copy-paste some challenge code. IMHO that is neither complete teaching nor a good programming course.

That said, I believe Free Code Camp does teach you things, and does it a lot better than any structured course, but in a totally different way. FCC gives you a path, helps you build your portfolio and get a job, gives you challenges and projects to complete yourself, and connects you with people. You will learn practical programming on FCC. You should take a real “programming course” elsewhere to learn more programming theory.

Here is a good thread:

There are a lot of good posts, but this pretty much sums it up:

1 Like