Ok, so this is probably a super basic question, but I can’t find a concise, or really even any actual answer for what I am needing.
So my friend has a live site that is getting traffic for his business, but he wants to redesign the site. I told him I was working through a coding training course (freeCodeCamp) and that I might be able to do it. I feel confident that I can write the code to build everything he wants. What I don’t know is where to build it and how to structure it.
Things that you may need to know to answer:
- He has a domain
- He has a hosting service
- He currently is using a wordpress site for a basically static page, but he wants a multiple page site similar to burts bees site.
- It is hosted with dreamhost
Things I need to know and don’t:
- How can I edit code offline or in a way that wont effect the live code?
- Is there a way to see the complied code before making it live? If so how?
- I have used an FTP before to put files into a wordpress theme, but I’m not sure how to translate that into a non-themed wordpress site, or even how to use a domain without wordpress. So any information on how to edit/upload files without using wordpress would be awesome.
- Where can I learn more about these types of things so I don’t have to feel so dumb next time?
I hope this is not a duplicate question, but I have looked for a couple of days now without any luck.
Thank you to anyone who is willing to help!!