Which course prepares me for what?

Hi.

I´m learning to code since 1 month and I do like it, but I still have plenty of doubts. For what I understadn FCC is focused on web development.

But if I would like to become a Sofware engineer, or DevOps.
What should I do? Can I also do FCC courses to make it?

What is your opinion?

Yes.

“Software engineer” is a broad category. “DevOps” is a specific job. FCC can’t prepare you for DevOps, not completely. But what you learn here could be part of what a DevOps person should know, it’s just not the complete picture.

What should I do? Can I also do FCC courses to make it?

If you want to learn some web dev, then go for it. FCC is not really a deep dive into any particular subject so it would be a good overview of some of the skills you would need for just about any tech job involved with web dev.

Why not just learn? Don’t worry about a career path. Just learn. The best tech people I know just love learning. They do dev work because it’s fun.

2 Likes

First of all thanks for yur answer.

I asked this question becasue seems that everything can be everything. That there´s not a specific road to be a software developer or web developer, and also all sofware developers can have different studies or skill between them.

I understand what you say at the end. Right now I´m learning without knowing exactly where it´ll take me.

But at the same time I woul like to know which path I could follow to know when I will be prepared to be able to apply for a job.
That´s the reason why I´m asking.

I don’t know enough about the industry at large to answer this effectively. I’m sure some others will pipe in with their opinions.

I look at it like this. If someone came to you and said, “I’m new to this but eventually I’d like to work at the Large Hadron Collider. What should I study?”

Well, at that early stage, just about any intro class in the physical science, any basic level math class is going to be good. Just learn. Learn and learn how to learn. Just focus on learning. And you’re probably at a stage where you can’t really make informed decisions about where you want to go anyway. You may find out there are things that you enjoy more than others. Just learn. Sure, learn some basic web dev. Learn some data sciences. Watch some videos on dev ops. Do Harvard’s CS50x course. Learn some testing. Learn some VCS. Just learn. A path will present itself. There is very little at this stage that you could learn that would not be useful in some way, later.

2 Likes

Yes, that is true - it is heaven and hell. You decide what that means for you. If you start coding you can do everything with everything. But I guess you need to give yourself more time to check out where your passion is home. In backend, frontend in data science, in design. If you start to study engineering you also don’t know what you going to do in the future. Building Bridges, houses, solving statical problems… whatever. Not even a teacher knows what to teach from beginning.

The only thing that is true and never a lie is - if you stay in coding, you have to accept that you never stop learning. Compared to other jobs, you spend much more time with new stuff than others.

P.S. To decide the direction is also flexible. You can start with frontend (Webdesign, nice looking pages, html/css/javascript to impress all - and later on you change to backend and you develop worlds best software :D)

1 Like

Is there something specific that you know you want to do?

If your goal is generally to be a programmer/developer/software engineer (these are more or less the same thing), then web development is probably the most accessible specialization. There are really great free resources to learn from (including freeCodeCamp). It’s more culturally accepting of self-taught applicants. It’s also a vast industry and growing at an incredible rate. When we talk about web development, we’re not just talking about building a simple website. The apps on your smart tv are build with web technology. Software on you computer like Discord, Slack, and VSCode are built with web technology. Many mobile apps are extensions of web applications. There’s a lot of “web” jobs out there.

Just focus on learning the basics of programming, then you can choose another path if you want. HTML, CSS and JS certifications on FCC will give you a very solid foundation for any path you want follow.

Look this year I enrolled on a public institute to learn software development because why not? is free!
First year we learn Java and other stuff but we have also an asignature “web design” where we are learning html/css first year, and javascript on the second year.

I think these three html/css/javascript are worth to learn independent of the path you choose.

1 Like

I always look forward to your opinions on questions so informative!

2 Likes

Major part of the curriculum, more than half the sections, are focused on teaching you different sides of web design. From the surface of a site, covering HTML, CSS, logical coding with JS, front-end technologies(frameworks, libraries), back-end tools, like handlign server, requests, database, writing tests, authenticating and working with various packages, some safety measures. Those all are heavily based on JS. Python is another language, which is more aimed in the computing field, which is covered as a second language in the last parts of the curriculum.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.