Why FCC should not create a Free Lance Website for our FCC campers

And the point of this? If you are a great developer you can outshine others on these freelance sites as well. However,if you suck well then either site be it FCC or other known ones will not make a difference.
In order for this idea to be even somewhat useful you would have to vet all the coders even more, as just solving challenges here proves little. The reason I am saying this, is because you can use the chat, google the answer etc…It is the same with any common test so an employer would maybe just have a pool size that is 10x higher, but doubt the quality will scale at the same rate.

Simple suggestion: Take on low paid work for building your portfolio if needed. Once you have a solid portfolio and good reviews it will become easier than just hoping for the best because “you know (or think)” that you can code.

The answer to both is none. This is the “exercise x is such a huge leap” times y. Innuendo inferred. If that’s mean, well, I’m sorry, but there should be no assumption by anyone that this is a primrose path down which one will be lead.

Also not trying to be a smartass, but for all the reasons others have said, you might check into other resources for this. For example, I know you can get started on Udemy with a couple of difference courses. Check out https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-guide-to-running-a-web-development-business/ or https://www.udemy.com/learn-photoshop-web-design-profitable-freelancing-2017/learn/v4/overview on sale for $10 or $15. We can’t expect FCC to be our only resource. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Who is this Lance person and why are we bailing him out?

It’s the guy on the left beside the pretty girl.

-pic removed-

oops… i just noticed the filename of that photo that I linked to from Google images. So I just removed the photo.

1 Like

Hehe. I’ll pitch in for Lance.

There are a lot of really good bootstrap templates out there for free that can be tweaked/ modified for a more professional looking portfolio.

I personally like the start bootstrap selection.

2 Likes

How about this, we build a Github repo and build it up as an open source…My two cents:smile:

One of the things that I learned working with nonprofits (as a grant writer), is that when designing a program, once you’ve figured out what the problem is that you want to address, you need to ask yourself - Is there a shortage? Is anyone else addressing this problem and how? Could I design a program that would work better?

As has already been mentioned, there are a lot of freelance sites out there that are already fighting for market dominance. I’m not aware that you’d be able to build anything that could compete. And from a client’s standpoint, why would they want to go to a site that only provides a small sliver of available coders?

I think a better approach would be to provide materials that explain to fCC graduates where to go and what to do. The freelance world is a confusing journey so it might help. But reinventing the wheel to go and compete against a dozen other sites with track records, a much bigger pool of talent, and much more experience - I don’t know. That market is pretty saturated by sites each with a team of a dozen battle hardened coders.

If you’re looking for a coding challenge like this, I can sympathize - most of the good ideas are taken, twenty times over. You’ve either got to have the next great idea, find something very niche, or settle that you’ll have to do something that won’t “take off” but will be good experience and be a great portfolio piece.

1 Like

Bunny, trying to break into a profession is a real challenge. It’s not only your skill level and portfolio; it’s also your marketing and networking. The best freelance professionals approach their careers like a business with 1 owner, 1 manager, and 1 employee. You have to apply problem-solving skills to all areas of the business, not just the technical problems. It’s always a hustling game. If you cannot successfully employ all strategies suggested in career advice articles and books, then you must innovate to create your own versions of those strategies. It is hard work. Maybe harder than gaining your skills in the first place, but successful professionals do not shy from the challenge and accept it as a critical aspect of their business.

I know you can do it.

1 Like