Why I can't add a link to my question

Hi! I’m new here in the forum. I got an error while trying to add a link to the W3C website as a reference, and the HTML checker of W3C.
Although there is a link button at the top of my topic creation editor, I still can’t add the link. I get an error saying:
An error occurred: Sorry you cannot post a link to that host.

So, is there a certain restriction about sharing links?

Yes, we do have restrictions in place for new accounts. However, unless the domain is explicitly blacklisted, the only restriction is new accounts may have a maximum of 2 links per post.

Are you able to add the link without using the :link: button?

I’ve tried adding the link without the button. This didn’t work either.
I only tried to add two links. I’ve also tried to add one of them with no luck.
I don’t have any idea why you would want to restrict W3C website, so I think it’s highly unlikely.

Put the links in a code block as a workaround for now.

Now I can’t edit the post. Is there a restriction on editing after a certain time?
I’ll put the links in a reply instead.

I was able to add the links in code blocks in the reply.
Thanks for your help.
But, why I can’t edit the original topic post?

It’s because it’s one of your first posts, the system automatically blocks certain things (links for example, or retroactively editing a first post) as an anti-spam measure. I realise it’s annoying – it’s a blunt instrument – but it’s there to stop spammers opening accounts and posting garbage. Unfortunately it does occasionally catch perfectly valid posts like yours.

Thank you very much for your help.
I was able to add the links in a reply already.
I understand that protection is much more important that convenience sometimes.
No complains.
I like the whole experience here in the forum.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding, and apologies for the inconvenience. Once you’ve posted a few times, you won’t have the issue, it’s specifically new posts – the thing it’s catching is when a spammer/bot creates an account and either posts spam straightaway, or posts something that looks valid then goes in and edits spam links in.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.