Any newbies like myself finding landing a job difficult? Would you be interested in collaborating?

It’s amazing how much you need to know. Of course, you need to know HTML, CSS, and basic vanilla JavaScript, but also JSON, APIs, SASS, GIT, and NPM packages like Webpack, Loaders, Babel, PostCSS, React, … And you also have to keep in mind or be aware of file size, responsiveness, image compression, security, testing, SEO – it never seems to end.

I just created a Slack and Discord account. If anyone else is a beginner and looking for their first job, would you be interested in collaborating on a number of projects? We could contribute to each other’s GitHub repos and even join each others’ discord and slack groups where we could have discussions on everything and anything involving design and development.

I have some repos that need improvements, and I am thinking of another project that will be a lot of work. I built the theme for my WordPress site and am starting Udemy lessons on plugin development, but I still need to increase my JS skills.

I also want to be able to put on my resume that I have contributed to open source projects on Github but I don’t even know where or how to start. Working on each other’s repos would be a great intro to the whole process.

Anyone interested? Any thoughts or ideas on this process? Let me know.

6 Likes

Hey man,

It seems getting a job in the corporate proffesional environment is a very strict and cookie cutter type of mentality and behavior. Now I could be completely wrong about this as I’ve never actually held any corporate or highly professional position. I am just speaking from what I see.

I’ve been self teaching myself how to code (HTML , CSS , JS & React etc. ) off and on for about 3-4 years now. Only this past few months have really dived in and started to take it all serious.

Only reason I got into web development was to try and become one of those ‘digital nomads’.

I still would like to be able to do remote work but always find myself going back and forth between trying to get a professional corporate job or even ‘freelancing’ and I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about all this and it seems that I almost want to just start my own business with web development. Only because I want to be very selective with whom I choose to work with and support.

I am also new to all this too. I would like to start contributing to the community more. Here is a link to my github and if you have any ideas on how to improve anything or just ideas in general I’m open>

Sorry for the late reply but I either didn’t get a notification of a reply or I missed it. It’s late and I’m burned out after looking at all the options in Google keyword planner, analytics, and adsense. I’ll take a look at your repos tomorrow.

I want to try and figure how to contribute. I watched a bunch of videos and read some articles so I have what looks like some possible contributing sources. I looked at the freeCodeCamp open issues on GitHub but they didn’t look open, they appeared to be done.

We can chat here or on my discord or slack accounts. I just created them. Here are links to those and to my Github account, my website, and my portfolio page. Let’s hope that a few more people join this conversation. Hopefully, we can chat about how to assist each other with a lot of this stuff. Hee are the links:

My github repo
My WordPress site
My portfolio page
My discord account
My Slack account

And check out this video that Kyle from WebDevSimplified just posted: How To Get Started With Open Source - YouTube

What do you mean by “Thanks for the spam flag”? I’m not interested in any services that require a payment.

Regarding portfolio, I’m not sure how valuable of an insight they are to a (job) candidate’s skills. A lot of portfolios out there are full of people showing templates/step-by-step tutorial projects. Anecdotally, the folks I know who have a Comp Sci degree have the most bare-bones portfolios but managed to get (good) jobs because they knew their stuff (the ones who didn’t ended up doing things like help desk). Similarly applies to bootcamp grads but the success rate varies due to the difficulty in learning a ton of information in 3 months. It’s also why they succeed; they don’t do on/off programming for a year+ they go full learning and quickly know if they are “good enough”

For projects, don’t get me wrong, they are, when done the right way, immensely valuable to learn new technologies but I do have to ask the question, when a hiring manager sees a [common project] app for the nth time, when does it stop losing its luster?

And you’re right, there’s a lot of stuff to learn but some things I’m not really sure what you mean: NPM, Webpack, Loaders, Babel, PostCSS. Since dev work is team thing, you learn some of the stuff better in a job like Git and gitlab/github.

You MAY configure this stuff once in a blue moon at a job - it isn’t common. I barely see it in job descriptions.

Getting that first job is very important and you need to learn things really fast at the job because usually juniors are not “ready” but the talented ones learn fast.

I looked at your Writer App/Portfolio/garbage collection, I think you need to expand to React OR Angular (depends on your job market) > Sass > TypeScript in that order. While learning Sass, you can learn about classnames, css modules, react libraries

Do you mean the Leaf Collection repo when you say “garbage collection”? Are you new to all of this and are interested in collaborating? I have 2 React courses that are next on my list, but I’m finishing up a JS course first.

NPM, Webpack, Loaders, Babel, PostCSS → NPM is what you use to install packages like Webpack which is a bundler. The others are packages as well.

I have a number of ideas for simple repos where 4 or 5 or us can each create a Repo on Github, then act as contributors to each repo. That way we can learn the Git process, Pull Requests, Issues, etc. If we all also create Discord and Slack accounts then we could learn those tools as well. I have some JS topics that I find difficult, but maybe someone else is good at. If we incorporate them into our repos, then we all learn. But I don’t seem to be getting any replies on this.

Yeah meant the leaf collection - I actually don’t understand what the switch statement is doing. It seems like they would all return the same result but even before that, weekOne isn’t defined? Do you have a live version of this, you can put in on Github pages

Regarding npm, there isn’t much to learn there. For Node, yes but not really npm. In my opinion with coding it’s more important thinking about the solutions than actually implementing it.

Am I new? Yes I started earlier this year.

Whether I could collaborate, kind of I guess. I don’t think I have enough time to actively contribute to the code but I can certainly part take in code reviews (which is having someone else review/approve your code before merging into main branch) and creating user stories.

I think it will be difficult to find folks to contribute on learning projects because of a few reasons:
Everyone is at a different level/different goals
Self Teaching/Discipline is hard and it’s why most people quit learning programming
Third reason, and I hate saying this but people would rather watch videos/do tutorials than actually implement projects.

Oh, I missed this:

What, like a to-do app or a weather app? I would never be that foolish. There should be a link in my WriterAssist repo to the live version on my website.

The leaf collection repo was just a quickie thing I wanted to do. I offered it to the borough for free, but I don’t know (or care) if they will actually use it. I noticed that the cycle repeats every year, so I wanted to use JS to calculate the schedule for the next 11 years. I found 2 PDF versions online for the last 2 years, that is how I saw the pattern. I thought maybe the borough could use it, or at least I would know the schedule. Here is a link to it on CodePen.

There is not much to learn by using NPM? Should I have said Node.js packages like Webpack? I would have to go through my notes to do it again, but you can check the webpack.config.js file in my travel-site repo. Are you saying there is not much to learn from that? I know there are other bundlers other than Webpack - how would you bundle things like SASS without a node package? Have you hosted your projects on Netlify also - you have that process down?

Well, I guess I am on my own. I guess I’ll create a 2nd GitHub acct and do pull requests and merge conflicts with my alter ego. I can’t believe that so many people complain about how they can’t get a job, but they haven’t even thought about collaborating with other entry-level people so that they can get the experience of online collaboration and communication - of being part of a team. It’s unbelievable how short-sighted people can be.

FWIW, I think it’s a great idea. I’m not there yet though. I’m still learning the JS basics. But I just wanted to chime in and let you know there was someone who thought it was a good idea.

HI @kernix !

The main freeCodeCamp repository has 93 open issues

A couple of those issues have the help wanted tag.

freeCodeCamp also has some newer repositories that you can contribute to that are beginner friendly.

If you are interested, DM me and I can help you out with making a contribution to a freeCodeCamp repo. :grinning:

I reviewed the code and found you don’t need that switch statement, you can replace it with let weekOne = new Date (`11/1/${year}`)

Seems like in codepen it doesn’t require you to use let/var/const to define variables unless I’m mistaken?

So, to go deeper in webpack, if you use React for learning you’re likely going to use the Create React App template which sets up boiler plate for you. I never configured webpack/babel in any of my stuff

For NPM, to use SASS you just use the command npm install [packagename], once installed it creates a folder in node modules and adds sass to your dependencies in the package.json files. I’m trying to say that it’s more important to focus on things like React/TypeScript/Redux,APIs etc; things you’re more likely to see in job descriptions and in an actual job.

For hosting static front end sites, yes I understand that process. I assume process you’re referring to setting up the domain name/dns

Anyways if you want more people may be worth checking other forums. I guess people are not too big on socializing with others though that’s what a job will come down to anyways.

An open source project is a good idea to join since you have to understand the codebase which, while difficult, is what you ultimately have to do when you get hired at a company.

I appreciate that! I’m a little past JS basics but there is still a lot that I find confusing or that I need work on. It looks like no one is really interested. I figured a good warmup would be to create a markdown cheatsheet that has all possible styles as well as building a great profile README.md on GitHub. I’m now considering trying to team up with an entry-level Human Resources graduate. I’ll build them a website if they go over my resume and cover letter.

The switch statement is to find the first Monday in Novemeber. As for websites, I’m not referring to creating a website. Where are you going to host your app?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.