console.log(7+9);
}

functionWithArgs(7,9);

function functionWithArgs(7,9) {
  console.log(7+9);
}

functionWithArgs(7,9);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/107.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Basic JavaScript - Passing Values to Functions with Arguments

Link to the challenge:

The point of a function is to be able to define a reusable operation. So like

function addTwo(num) {
  return num + 2;
}

This is a function, addTwo, that has one parameter. That parameter is called num (what it’s called is arbitrary), but it’ll be a number, and the function returns that number plus two.

The parameter has to be an arbitrary name: it’s a variable. When you actually run the function, whatever number you pass as an argument gets assigned to that variable.

So if I run addTwo(2), then num is 2. So num + 2 is 2 + 2 is 4, the function returns the number 4. If I run addTwo(100), this function returns the number 102. If I run addTwo(1.23), the function returns 3.23

What you’ve done is tried to define a function with values instead of parameters, which can’t work. The values are used when the function is called, not when it’s defined.

So when you run functionWithArgs(7,9), that’s fine. But the function can’t be defined like that. The example shown: that’s what you need to look at again.

You also hardcoded a value in the function body. So even if you fix the parameters, what would happen if you ran functionWithArgs(10,10)? The value it should log is 20, but instead it will log 16. If you ran functionWithArgs(64, 36), it should log 100, but instead it will log 16. And so on.

The point is that you can give the function any two numbers, and it will log the sum of those two. Not just the numbers 7 and 9