Best code editor beginners

Hi everyone, I’m new here!

I’m just getting started into programming seriously (I’ve done some programming but never anything too complicated) because I intend to step aside from industrial engineering and start a new career as a developer.

I’m currently using Replit as my main editor because I’ve been following along some fcc courses… is there any downside to keep using replit or should I start using another tool like VS code? I’m using a macbook pro.

Thanks for your help!

Replit is pretty good. I would turn off the AI suggestions (look for the AI icon in the lower left of the code editor) if you are learning.

Limitations are that you need to be Internet connected to use it and it has some resource limitations (CPU, memory) but if that isn’t a problem, there’s no downside.

If the site disappears you will lose everything you have there, that’s something to keep in mind. They could also just lock you out / delete your account arbitrarily. Maybe not something to worry about if you are learning to code.

VSCode is good if you want to run something locally, and I would also recommend Google Colab if you want an online tool that has a Jupyter Notebook feel where you can run blocks of code independently. I would try out both of those just for variety, but I’d say it doesn’t really matter.

If you are doing Python on freeCodeCamp, Google Colab will come up naturally in the Data Analysis course.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I think I’ll stick to VScode for now. Btw I had already turned off the AI suggestions since day 1 cause I found it harmful for my learning experience haha.