Best IDE for working with everything learned here?

Is there an IDE thats better than others when working with everything learned here? I’m not sure. Maybe I need more than just a single software to use everything I’m learning on freecodecamp? Any help would be huge and very appreciated.

Current trend leans to Visual Studio Code. Other good alternatives are atom, sublime and bracket.

4 Likes

I noticed bracket, it seems like a good one to use. Sublime I’ve used before but I don’t get the development environment feel from it, to me it’s just a text editor with a couple more bells and whistles on it. Is there a way to change that? I’m worried that I’m going to waste a bunch of time learning some software that is sub par in terms of how well I can code websites with it.

For the curriculum here, I would focus on one of Visual Studio Code, Webstorm, Brackets and Sublime. If you want to add some other languages look at Eclipse and Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition.

I’ll expand on this a bit so you know why (IMO)…

The first ones I mentioned are editors with some enhanced capabilities available in some instances natively (built-in) and in some instances via plug-ins or extensions.

VS2017 and Eclipse are full IDE’s --> Integrated development environments. They do a lot more than just allow you to edit code. They also manage the work (call it your project, solution, folder, code-repo, whatever). They are much bigger and usually have A LOT more features (that you probably won’t need for the foreseeable future), and are much larger installs. They are frequently overkill for HTML/CSS/JS development.

I switch between VSCode and VS2017 depending on what I’m doing. If I’m doing server side development, I normally use VS2017. For client development (html/css/js), I normally use VSCode.

2 Likes

@exdayvan , the others are correct. For here, those mentioned by @whipdancer and @shimphillip are most commonly used for the html/css/js combo. If you really want to feel like you are using an IDE and not something lite, give VS community edition a try. You can create an empty Asp.Net website and use that space for HTML/ CSS and JS programming.

Ok, I’m trying to stay away from Visual Studio because I heard a lot of people were having privacy concerns with Microsoft logging everything you do in Visual Studio. It’s true, go ahead and google it. I’ll go for Brackets since it has a live preview function which is what I need most. Thanks for the help.

I’ve used both Atom and Brackets and I am currently preferring Brackets over Atom.

How about VS Code wrapped in tin foil?

1 Like

It seems there is a problem with Brackets and the Live Preview functionality. I’ve only just opened it and I can’t even load the sample web page with Live Preview properly. It’s missing a bunch of stuff on the preview that’s obviously in the HTML file. Anyone experience this before and know how to fix it? Seems like a buggy software to me. That’s not good if i’m using this for work…

It’s not tinfoil-hat-crowd to not want your physical location, intellectual property, or machine info to be sent to Microsoft. The fact that you have to google, apply hacky settings, and VSCode STILL pings their server to let them know that you “opted out” but are running supposedly-free software on your machine is pretty shitty of them. You have to have modified your hosts file to stop it completely. I used to think Stallman was a kook making too big of a deal about the difference between free software and open-source software, but I’m beginning to see his point.

Please provide evidence that VS Code sends intellectual property to Microsoft.

pleas stay on topic. i dont want my topic becoming something insane. I really need an answer to my question.

1 Like

It’s quite buggy and takes some fiddling round with. That’s Bracket’s main feature and it isn’t implemented terribly well (because it’s a hard thing to do), although when it works it is very useful. Brackets works fine, but feature-wise and in terms of stability it’s generally slightly behind compared to VS/Sublime/Atom. Much of a muchness re different editors, currently there are a few of them which are all very similar. If you want a page that updates as you edit, it may be easier just running a server, though you have to use the command line (eg install Node, install live-server, run live-server)

It polls your registry for installed apps. Transmitting the existence of installed software could be a breach of IP privacy. The larger issue with Microsoft is their stated policy (clearly spelled out in their Microsoft Services Agreement) of gathering telemetry off you, the user. Their devs will tell you the same thing: they have a telemetry-first stance. The evidence is ubiquitous and public. My initial assertion was that calling privacy protection “tin-foil-hattish” is unnecessarily dismissive.

1 Like

I am. You expressed privacy concerns, and I am answering them. I use VSCode myself, and have enacted all the recommendations in this comment on the topic from Reddit, with the exception of the code-runner setting, because it is deprecated.

I found this on VS Code FAQ.

It talks about the data it collects and how to disable some of it. Looks like the reddit link takes a few more steps.
I would consider taking the steps in the FAQ but I’m personally not too bothered by the data they collect. I am already on windows.

Maybe I’ll change my mind if I learn more. Good to know about though.

Edit: Oh and to answer OP’s question I’ve been absolutely in love with VS Code. I was on sublime and loved that but VS Code has won me over.

I don’t think there really is a “best IDE”… yes some are better than others at doing certain task but in the end you’ll have to find one that YOU are most comfortable with. Try them out and see.

I just happened to like VSCode… and partly because I started out on my Windows machine for the pre-course I had to do. Just as good on the mac. Have heard differing opinions about different IDEs/editors from Vim to Sublime (I never bothered with that one because of the nag upgrade/buy screen on the free version) and Atom. There are a few others I’ve heard of- WebStorm and Bracket… I think one or two others that slip my mind right now.

Even Notepad++ can do nicely for FCC but as somebody noted above- yes it depends on what you want to do (including databases/SQL), how much you’re going to do and your own comfort level is managing the GUI and setup.

Besides privacy concerns and convience of workflow there is also the possibility of some tiny giants like VIM or emacs. I know it can be a challenge to work with them in the beginnings but I found it quite interesting to see how small their footprint is regarding to the benchmarks in this post on medium

I love sublime text because it looks the cleanest.

I have experience with Atom, brackets and Visual Studio code. From my experience, and for front end web development I recommend Visual Studio Code.