Big improvements to our community's forum

We’ve listened to everyone’s feedback and made a ton of improvements to our forum.

###Improvement #1: HTTPS :lock:
Our open source community takes security seriously. Now everything on our forum is encrypted using SSL.

###Improvement #2: Simplified Categories :evergreen_tree:
You don’t need to add a category to your posts, but if you do, they’re now much simpler. Here’s the full list:

• News - post articles, videos, tools, podcasts, events - anything you think other campers might be interested in

• Help / Questions - get help or ask general questions. This category features a Stack Overflow-style “Accepted Answer” functionality, so the accepted answer will show up right below the question - you won’t have to scroll through to find it.

• Reviews - write reviews for literally anything: programming books, online courses, even Star Trek episodes if you want. You can give something 1 to 5 stars. Then other campers can reply with their own ratings. The thread will show the average rating.

• Getting a Developer Job - write about your interviews, job offers you receive, salaries, your first few days on the job, or really anything related to your developer career.

• Wiki - learn about a wide variety of programming languages and technologies, and contribute to our shared knowledge base.

• Project Feedback - get feedback on all projects - not just your Free Code Camp practice projects. Due to a huge volume of posts, these no longer show up in the main news feed.

• Meta - talk about Free Code Camp’s community itself - this forum, our chat rooms, local study groups, our YouTube channel, Medium publication, curriculum - whatever you want.

Now I’d like to acknowledge several campers who’ve been extremely active here on the forum, volunteering their time and expertise:

@ArielLeslie
@Azdrian
@BenGitter
@Diego_Perez
@imtoobose
@IsaacAbrahamson
@JacksonBates
@kevcomedia
@MARKJ78
@michaelhenderson
@P1xt
@PortableStick
@Rafase282

A huge thanks to these generous human beings for spending their scarce time here, helping their fellow campers! :tent:

And finally, a massive thanks to all of you for hanging out, sharing your thoughts, and answering questions. Our community’s forum has already become one of the biggest, friendliest technology forums on the internet, and we’re just getting started! :thumbsup:

13 Likes

Some great changes.

Nope :stuck_out_tongue: At least I prefer the original ‘latest’ view by default.

2 Likes

Neat changes. I like the new red bar showing the new activity since my last visit.
I do agree that showing the posts by most recent activity is what I prefer.

1 Like

Are the “New” and “Unread” views gone?

I can see them on mobile. Haven’t checked the big screen.

There are also some new features such as the ‘blur spoiler’ plugin!

Spoiler

Although I still prefer our old hack for big chunks of spoilery goodness!

1 Like

Ah, thanks. They used to be besides the “hot” and “latest” buttons, but this works as well.

Yes - my suspicion is that “New” and “Unread” are mainly used by power users like yourself (I personally never used them). I hid them from the navigation to make it less intimidating for new campers, but they’re only one click away:

1 Like

I think the transition to https, or at least a software upgrade, has fixed the bug I used to complain about which forced me to re-login between sessions when I swapped devices! Yaybies!

1 Like

Yes, I noticed that as well.

2 Likes

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

@QuincyLarson Now that the projects are off the front page, might it be good to have a button on the Latest Hot Top Categories bar on the front page.

Maybe the label could be something like Review Projects to make it clear? (Just spitballing…not married to this idea :slight_smile: )

1 Like
Double Encryption

Noticed and appreciated too.

:smiley:

3 Likes

I tried triple…didn’t work :frowning:

Nothing to see here, Mr Putin
Encryptception

Ah, Mr Snowden I presume?

Edit:
Unless you inspect element!

2 Likes

Wow this is like Inception haha :sleeping:

I tried having details inside details once… figured some of my users wouldn’t want to go looking in the dev tools tho :smiley:

I think a forum of this nature might benefit from an “unanswered” hot filter. I know you can order the column on any forum page, but that gives unanswered from all time, for which we’ve obviously missed the boat for most of them.

1 Like