šŸŒˆ Our forum is like Stack Overflow for campers. šŸ¦„

:rainbow: Our forum is like Stack Overflow for campers :unicorn:

:question: You can ask a question about anything. Then you can read your fellow campersā€™ comments. If a comment answers your question, you can mark it as the solution.

:checkered_flag: You can get feedback on a project youā€™ve built in our Project Feedback category.

:dollar: And if you get a new dev job, be sure to tell us all about it in our Getting a Developer Job category.

:heart_eyes_cat: You can see which campers have been most helpful each week on our leaderboard.

:mag: Remember that we have a powerful search engine and thousands of topics. You can find discussions about pretty much everything on here.

9 Likes

Wow. A lifesaver. Stack Overlow limits how many questions per week you can ask. This forum is unlimited as far as I can tell. Thanks Quincy!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a more specific changelog of what weā€™ve done with the forum today, for all you power users out there:

• We eliminated the ā€œnewsā€ category, which wasnā€™t being used much, and moved those posts to general as well.
  • We turned on the ability for the original poster of any forum post to mark one of its replies as the ā€œsolutionā€. This means a :ballot_box_with_check: will show up to the left of the post, indicating that it is ā€œsolvedā€, and the solution reply will appear immediately below the original post on that thread.
  • We turned on ā€œtagsā€ for all posts. So now you can tag a post with something specific. For example, ā€œalgorithmsā€ or ā€œyoutubeā€ or whatever you want, really. You can then browse by tag by clicking on a tag. Let me know what you all think of these.

Also, in the process of recategorizing some of these posts, I accidentally recategorized some of the ā€œmetaā€ posts as general. Sorry about that. Thereā€™s no easy way to reverse this. I do think we should continue to have a meta category, though. I guess it will just have to grow back :wink:

Finally, a note about my analogy: ā€œStack Overflow for campersā€

Stack Overflow is an amazing resource for all developers. But for new developers (people who have been coding less than 5 years), itā€™s an intimidating place.

Even though I visit Stack Overflow several times a day to read the answers there, I will only post there as an absolute last resort. When I do, my questions are sometimes marked as duplicates or down-voted (and subsequently ignored).

I understand that Stack Overflow holds its question asker to high standards and expects them to have tried almost everything before posting there. I understand that they want to groom the questions so that there arenā€™t duplicates. I understand that a small minority of their users take the time to answer questions, and thus they are in a hurry and donā€™t have time for half-baked questions.

It is possible for new coders to get help on Stack Overflow. But it requires a lot of practice, planning, and thick skin.

This said, freeCodeCamp has an incredibly friendly, helpful community. We can recreate much of Stack Overflowā€™s value - helping developers get ā€œunstuckā€ - right here. And with less gatekeeping and much simpler rules.

If you want to know what the rules on our forum are, here they are. Theyā€™re our code of conduct, and itā€™s short enough I can post it right here:

freeCodeCamp is a friendly place to learn to code. Weā€™re committed to keeping it that way. By using freeCodeCamp, you agree that youā€™ll follow this code of conduct.

In short: Be nice. No harassment, trolling, or spamming.

• Harassment includes sexual language and imagery, deliberate intimidation, name-calling, stalking, unwelcome attention, libel and any malicious hacking or social engineering. Free Code Camp should be a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, national origin, or religion (or lack thereof).
  • Trolling includes posting inflammatory comments to provoke an emotional response or disrupt discussions.
  • Spamming includes posting off-topic messages to disrupt discussions, promote a product, or solicit donations.
    If you see someone harass, troll, or spam anywhere on freeCodeCampā€™s online media (Gitter, YouTube, Facebook, etc.), notify us in our Admin room in Gitter - preferably with a screen shot of the offense. Our team will take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including banning the offender from freeCodeCamp.

Also, no bots are allowed in our chat rooms or on our forum without prior written permission from freeCodeCampā€™s Core Team.

Thatā€™s literally it. As long as you follow those rules, youā€™re good. We donā€™t care about duplicate questions. We donā€™t care about off-topic discussions. We donā€™t mind if you want to talk about personal finance or exercise or travel or even TV shows. Go for it. There are no stupid questions.

My hope is that this approach will make our forum a fun, stress-free place to hang out and help one another with our shared goal of getting better at technology and coding.

Let me know what you think about this general philosophy. I am just one campers, and Iā€™m interested in hearing the perspectives of all of you.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t even create an account for Stack Overflow until about 8 years after I first started learning to program. I pretty much just treat it as a universal programming FAQ rather than an interactive experience.

2 Likes

Stack Overflow is like the gym locker room for nerds to show off whoā€™s the biggest, bad ass code jockey. I see lots of big egos and bullying there.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. When I came to the forum, I had no idea how to ask questions. I really had no idea how to answer as I was a beginner. Yet the community helped me to grow from an insecure coder, and now, shockingly, I am on the top ten all time campers on the forum leaderboard. I really love the forum, and I think itā€™s one of the best places for anyone, regardless of level, to become better at coding, help others, and just have fun.

5 Likes