Boostrap,Git and Atom how to use them

Just came across Boostrap and have no idea how to install it or use it.
Same with git which is everywhere.
And installed Atom for editing or whatever.
Any advice with these few or some explanation?

Those are three very different things, and each one has some pretty straightforward instructions. For example, Bootstrap’s site has quick answers on their homepage as well as a big “Get Started” button.

That said, just because you hear about something a lot in coding communities doesn’t mean you should go download it. You should know what you want to do with it.

If you have any specific questions, people can try to help you.

But what do I do with Bootstrap and how it can help me?
And same with Git?

There are many great articles about that which are more articulate than I can be and which can be yours with a quick trip to Google.

1 Like

Are you using Boostrap and Git?

I use Git and I’ve used Bootstrap before. If you have specific questions about them, either I or someone here can probably help.

Can you use any of those for some nice looking layouts or navbar or some boxes?

You clearly have not even googled what they are. I give up.

I did but it s too confusing. I can use some icons from Git I get that but these other things I don t understand. And boostrap it s just fakd up. Like install than something pops out and nothing again xd

You need to slow down.

Open up Atom (the editor) and create a new file. Call the file ANYTHING you want. But save it with the extension .html. For instance, CaptainMakaveli.html. Here is what the file should look like:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<title>My Title</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>HELLO there, I am Captain Makaveli.</h1>

</body>

</html>

Try to OPEN THIS FILE in Chrome or a Browser.

Once you have opened this file, see if you can Google “How to add Bootstrap to my file or project.”

Bootstrap will give you a consistent “theme” or “style”.

Don’t worry about Git yet if this is where you are.

Write some words on a page in the text editor using some html tags, see if you can get them to change SIZE, COLOR, things like this. Change the text below “Heading 2” and “Paragraph” to something else. Open the file again.

Try <h2>Heading 2</h2>
Try <p>Paragraph</p>

Once you want to start changing your work, you can investigate Git and things like Github and BitBucket.

If you want to simple see what Git is, follow this Atlassian TUTORIAL on Git:

Atlassian Bitbucket

Go to the very first lesson on FreeCodeCamp tutorial, and read. Read again.

And yes, you can use Boostrap for “nice looking” buttons, boxes, nav bars, etc. But you will have to read up on that stuff.

J

1 Like

@CaptainMakaveli, as mentioned they are three very different things.

• Bootstrap is a framework. You can Google and see what it is and what it does but before you even try and learn it you should become familiar with CSS first.
  • Git is a version control systems. Although you hear people use the terms Git and GitHub interchangeably they are not the same thing.
  • Atom is a text editor

As stated, using Google could have gotten you these answers and a lot more.

I use Bootstrap occasionally.
I use GitHub.
I don’t use Atom, I use Brackets.

1 Like

Hey @CaptainMakaveli I would recommend you do the tracks on freecodecamp and theodinproject. Both have great material that could help you start.

As a new developer don’t try to figure out bootstrap if you don’t understand HTML and CSS. Bootstrap is a framework that uses both HTML and CSS and without knowing those technologies you will be lost for sure.

Atom is a text editor, just like notepad, but with extra features, and the ability to install plugins, but again, if you just started, don’t worry about that for know.

Github is a website where you can upload your git repositories. It’s one of the most used by developers, but not the only one out there.

Try starting from the beginning of things, don’t get ahead of yourself. As a developer you will need the ability to understand the fundamentals and advance your knowledge.

1 Like

I remember not understanding git, and not understanding people’s explanations, so i can relate here.
The short answer is this: If you’ve ever used something like Google Docs, and had a group working in the same document at once, you basically understand git. You can see who is working on what, including past work, you can access your work from anywhere, and if something goes wrong and it’s too far gone to simply fix, you can go back to a previous days work (aka a previous version), and use that. The last point there is why people call it version control software, but it’s really so much more. It’s the reason large amounts of people can work on one project together.

Bootstrap is for people like me who can’t make a website look good, so instead just use Bootstrap. Instead of creating a button with<button type="button">Click Me!</button>, you use something like <button type="button" class="btn btn-success">Success</button>. Bootstraps just a big css file that has loads of classes that look good straight away, like .btn and .btn-success.

It’s good that you want to understand the stuff people are talking about, and it’s frustrating when you don’t even understand the explanations. But people are right, it’ll all make more sense as you keep learning. Good luck!

1 Like