Build a classified website

Hi, I would like to build a classified website from scratch. I am not sure which language is the best to make it. PHP? Phython? JavaScript?

The nessasary functions are user can create a post and update picture and their information. User can obtain points and store in their account.
My goal site is like this…
https://www.care.com/babysitters

I googled it and I found a lot of articles about using WordPress, osclass or other software not from the scratch.

I would really appreciate it if you can tell me the place I can learn to build the classifieds website.

Thank you!

1 Like

What is your current experience level? Have you built anything on the web before?

To answer your first question: all those languages and many more are suitable.

You need to understand front end development (HTML, CSS and Javascript) and backend development, i.e. A server processing requests (in JavaScript, Python, PHP etc) that communicates with a database (MySQL, MongoDb etc).

If you are a complete beginner start here: https://freecodecamp.org and start working through the challenges and projects. Ask questions on the forum (here) if you get stuck.

If you are starting from scratch, expect this to take a few months at least, maybe more depending on how quickly you pick up the concepts.

1 Like

As Jackson says, there are many ways to do this, you just need to choose a stack. FCC focuses on a MEN/MERN stack, but there are other options. There really isn’t a best option - outside or personal preferences, they are all good options.

But as I said, at this time, FCC focuses on one stack, using Mongo, Express, and Node. React is also often included in this stack but is nor required - between Mongo, Express, and Node - and some front-end knowledge - you can easily do what you are trying to do. In fact, some of the projects in the curriculum actually overlap a little with what you want to do.

You will need some front end knowledge (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and back end (Mongo, Express, Node). Once you have that, you could pretty easily do what you are describing.

So do the front end and back end sections of FCC. You can skip the Data Visualization section for now if you want - it is not necessary for what you want to do and nothing that comes after it is dependent on it.

Like I said, there are other stacks, but FCC does not teach them. If you already have advanced knowledge of PHP or Python, you might want to pursue a stack using one of those, but in any case you will still need to know front end, the same that FCC teaches - unless you get into frameworks, that is the same everywhere.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have experienced with HTML and CSS through FCC and I built my portfolio. I am learning JS and PHP right now, so sounds like I can build the website after learning those language. I will need learn MySQL as well and try make the website :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

To me, there are other questions to ask:

1. How soon do you want to get the site running?

2. What is your reasons for creating the site?

My guess is that you want to get the site running asap and the reason is to make money and offer the service to people. In that case, I would look at WordPress. The simple reason is that you will have a much faster launch time, but I think you would need to purchase plugins if your PHP ability is limited.

Good luck!