Can a 15 year old get a full stack dev job

I am a 15 year old dev. I have done a few advanced projects like e-commerce web app and relatively simple projects like excercise tracker . I know html, css, js,react,sass,mongodb,mysql,node js,php and backend frameworks express and laravel. With those skills can I get a remote junior dev role.

1 Like

If you are in the United States, then federal labor laws restrict how many hours you can work and which hours you can work. So, not really. You can build some really cool stuff for the next few years though, so that you’ll have a really strong set of skills when you begin applying for full-time work.

2 Likes

How much education have you completed? I know getting a job and making money is awesome but a solid education is even more important at your age. You’ll have plenty of time to find your dream job, but it will be much harder to find if you don’t have a good education.

3 Likes

I agree with what ArielLeslie is saying.

With those skills can I get a remote junior dev role.

In terms of skills, sure, that could work.

But if you’re 15, you should be focussed on your school work, not working 50 hours a week in a job. And I think most employers would think the same thing.

As AL points out, work on your projects. You are in such an amazing spot. When you graduate, you will have some amazing projects and skills.

If you absolutely must work, why not take on a few freelance projects on something like upwork or fiver. You could also build up your resume by doing some opensource work.

And after you graduate, you might consider continuing on to university and get a CS degree. It would make it easier to get a job and might lead to more money in the long run.

But I think it’s awesome that you’re so on top of things. Just don’t be too anxious. Heck - I didn’t get my first web dev job until I was 49. You have plenty of time. I’d say, focus on school and having a little fun. Keep coding stuff on the side and learning. You are sooooo far ahead of the vast majority of your competition.

3 Likes

Yeah if you’re in the US, a few things come to mind immediately:

• At your age you should be focusing on school, not work.
  • Most software companies won’t consider hiring you until you turn 18 for legal reasons - i.e. you should be a legal adult before you consider working for a company.
  • To add to the above point, if you don’t have a high school diploma, most companies won’t hire you either. An HS diploma is a minimum level of education for a lot of type of jobs in the US, especially white collar jobs, so you really shouldn’t consider working in any job until you get your diploma.
  • When you do turn 18, the vast majority of companies won’t make you an actual software engineer right away either. They’d be way more likely to start you as an intern. And you shouldn’t expect to be taken seriously at that point either. Even if you know your stuff, most people will assume you won’t due to lack of experience. And there are certainly some things you won’t know either until you start working professionally.
  • At your age, what I’d recommend doing is creating as many projects as you can. Collaborate with other aspiring devs like yourself, contribute to open source, even create your own open source projects, etc. But also keep in mind what content you’re putting out too, especially in terms of what people can find out about you. There are a lot of “Internet predators” that you should be wary of avoiding.
  • I’d also recommend taking the time to really cement your coding education if school is one of those things that’s really easy for you. Take Harvard’s CS50X if you haven’t already. Learn general computer science topics if you don’t think you’ll be going to college (i.e. data structures, algorithms, CPU architecture, operating systems, programming language theory, etc). Certain types of math are foundational to programming, so make sure you know HS-level algebra I and II, statistics & probability, and discrete math. Make sure you really understand how to work with both binary and hexadecimal numbers (they can come up a LOT in coding). Learn a C-family language like C# or Java, or even the ancestors like C++ or C. If you learn C, you’ll gain a much better understanding of how computers work, and that can be extremely helpful.
1 Like

Thanks guys, I will do freelancing then because I still need to help out my family

1 Like

Hi @wbrown152020 !

I think it is awesome that you want to help out your family financially but freelancing requires some other skills besides coding.

Aside from the technical skills you need to know how to sell yourself and work with clients in a business manner.

FCC news has a lot of great content on how to get started with freelancing.

Just be mindful that it takes a while to build a consistent income.
I don’t want you to beat yourself up and place the burden on yourself to help support your family if there are rocky months with freelancing.

Just keep learning and building.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Man if you are 15 and with all that knowledge, why not use it? If I were you, I would apply for any kind of job that allows me to work and that I like, specially if I need the money. Of course, without getting a boring and stressing job.
Freelancing is a good way or any kind of job that gives you freedom and not 50 hours a week.
Way to go man, I wish you the best.

1 Like

Freelancing isn’t much of an option for someone who can’t legally sign contracts. Some minors manage to sell mobile apps, though even that requires an 18+ adult to own the developer account, to say nothing of the payment account. So that’s viable, but perhaps skills acquisition rather than career trajectory is the thing one should be focusing on at 15. Or hell, just more studying to figure out what you actually want to do. Most devs live in a society where we have the luxury of delaying that kind of decision, and it’s best to take advantage of it.

3 Likes

I think the whole reason why you created this topic is because of this response here

I think at this point it would be best to speak with your family and express why you feel the need to help out financially.

Hopefully the outcome is that you can focus on education or at least work very little. Then when you finish school you can dive into the work force.

I do want to stress one point here.

I wish you the best on your future endeavors and hopefully it all works out. :grinning:

2 Likes

I agree with @jwilkins.oboe here.

But I also want to give my two cents.

I was a high school drop out and joined the work force at a young age due to situational circumstances. I was able to get my grade 12 equivalency at 20 without any issues and around 25 enrolled in an online university studying CS for a few years which I also dropped out of.

I’m almost 31 now, happily married for 8 years, I have an 8 year old, a baby on the way, we’re buying our second home and I have made a solid career for myself. I’ve never felt “uneducated”. Nothing wrong with school and I may even go back to finish my degree, but don’t mistake schooling for education. You’re not choosing to be uneducated by not attending school. You can educate yourself.

Don’t allow others to make you feel bad about yourself for choosing the unbeaten path.

As for your question.

It depends where you live I suppose. In Canada I was working about 40 hours/week by 16 and 50+ hours/week at 17. It was a factory job, but why couldn’t it have been a dev job? There are no laws against it here. However finding an employer who would hire a developer under 18 could be challenging.

As others have said you pretty much have to make your own work either through freelancing, making a product or service that you sell, selling an app in one of the app stores, or even through content creation like courses, YouTube, technical articles etc.

3 Likes

In the early days of internet it wasn’t uncommon for young programmers to make income due to the high demand for the skill. It’s perhaps less common now days to see that happening, however many people get thier first part time job younger than 15 so I wouldn’t limit yourself.