How can I start freelancing as a 15 year old

Hey, am 15 years old and would like to get started freelancing.

I know mern stack and currently learning php , and WordPress.

I have two projects rn. An exercise tracker- etracky.herokuapp.com

and anime streaming site - dananime.herokuapp.com (still in dev).

After learning the tech mentioned where should I go from there. Please note that school won’t be a problem because I won’t be doing it full time

2 Likes

At your age, freelancing isn’t feasible. You should be a legal adult (i.e. 18) before you try to sign contracts with clients. Also, almost no one will take you seriously at your age either.

Unless you’re a genius prodigy (and even if you are), your first goal should be to learn and do well in school and get a high school diploma. HS diplomas are the minimum level of education assumed in the “working world” and if you’re lacking in any fundamental education (math, science, social studies, writing, et al), things aren’t going to go well for you.

Lastly, working with clients as a freelancer requires a degree of maturity and professionalism that I doubt you have at 15. If you really want to “freelance” you should start with family and friends for informal work. You won’t be able to pick up any actual clients until you turn 18, so until then I would suggest studying and “practicing” as much as possible.

3 Likes

I understand but I asked Stefan Mischook(google him) and he said it is possible. Also I was not planning on letting anyone know my age. I wanted to use my mom’s credentials and basically do the work for her. I did a course on freelancing so I don’t think working with clients will be much of a problem and even if it is. I just want the experience. School is not a problem because I will be freelancing in the summer

You are describing a big legal mess right there. I’d recommend against lying about your age and pretending to be your mother.

5 Likes

I understand but I asked Stefan Mischook(google him) and he said it is possible.

Then perhaps ask him how to do it, if he has the answer you want. If he’s such an expert, ask him. But don’t ask us about how to do what he says, if we disagree with that.

Look, first congratulations on having it so together at age 15. I think you have a great future ahead of you if you stay on course.

But I also agree with the others that you shouldn’t lie about who you are. There was a question about “maturity and professionalism” and your response is that it’s OK, you’ll just lie about it and create a fake account under your mother’s name. Do you see the irony here?

My advice would be to just keep learning and building things. You could be in such an amazing position once you come of age. The next three years are nothing compared to the 60 years after that. Build things, come up with the next facebook, build some mobile apps and maybe make a little bit of money.

The other option might be to do some volunteer work. You might be able to find a non-profit needing a web site (I don’t know if the same legal issues apply) or do some open-source.

5 Likes

I believe your right,and about irony lol. I will follow your guide because you were able to give me answers that are realistic. Thanks alot!

You can use platforms like Fiverr for freelancing at age 15. I have done quite a bit of freelancing on Fiverr (with quite a bit of success) even at under 18 and would highly recommend it. Personally, I had a great experience, learned a large amount and was able to work on multiple very interesting projects. Good luck with your freelancing career and feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.