Can I create a website with just HTML 5 and CSS?

I just finished the HTML5 and am starting on the CSS, I plan to be finished with it within this next week. My question is whether I would be able to build a static website with just these two? My reasoning and desire behind this is to practice with these two coding languages and ‘nail it down’, before I move into the others in Responsive webdesign before JavaScript. It is just the best way I can learn, and I learn best by doing and practicing.

Should I finish the rest such as Applied Visual Design, Applied Accessibility, Responsive Web Design Principles, CSS Flexbox, and CSS Grid and do the Responsive Web design projects? Or can I practice coding with just HTML5 and Basic CSS before moving on to the others?

Thank you

You can create a fully functioning website with just them two. It’s always good to get some practice, but I’d recommend finishing the courses first. You might pick something up useful for when you start practicing.

Only exception is CSS Grid, you don’t need to learn that just yet. It’s a new technology that doesn’t have great browser support just yet which means you’d need to use a fallback anyway. You can learn that at a later date

Absolutely! Many of the early websites were designed with nothing but plain old HTML and CSS.

As for whether you should learn all the modules before practicing, it really depends on preference. Some people can’t really understand concepts without seeing how they fit into the big picture whilst other people like myself can feel overwhelmed when too much is presented at once and prefer to take a more methodical, step-by-step approach.

Good luck in your learning! :slight_smile:

1 Like

All of those are HTML5 / CSS.
The responsive projects are practice with HTML5 and CSS. Without responsiveness, your sites will look rubbish on mobile devices.

You should practice while you do the curriculum. You can also practice by making parts of a site like menus, headers, and cards.

@WeiszGuy55, Yes! You can build a static website with HTML5 and CSS. But, for responsive you need to learn javascript, jquery, and bootstrap, etc. Later on, you can build a responsive website. For now, you should keep practicing with HTML5 and CSS.

I disagree. You can use flexbox and grid (HTML 5 and CSS) for responsive sites. No JS needed. You only need JS if you want to manipulate the DOM. I don’t use Bootstrap for any of my responsive projects. I have used JS to make items hidden and be revealed by clicking things, but that is about an interactive website not a responsive one.

1 Like

Thank you for replies everyone, really appreciate it.

1 Like

CSS Grid has insanely high browser support, being first introduced in IE10, with a help of conversion you can make it functional with no problems on IE11 since only a few things like grid-are are not recognized making grid the “hot thing” that’s being adopted by everyone since you can use Grid and Flexbox all together without worrying about HTML dependencies and code rearrangement. So I would disagree and encourage the guy to focus on grid and flexbox making his stuff already worth a look in his portfolio :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t describe CSS Grid as having ‘Insanely high’ support. 1 in 10 people (and even higher in some of the websites I create) still don’t have it. I’d have to write double the amount of code just to ensure people get a fallback, which doesn’t make economic sense.

I’m not saying the guy shouldn’t look it up, but if anyone plans on creating websites with just CSS Grid, they should prepare their wallets (or their customers) for lost revenue.

Here you go.

Thanks, but there are other browsers other than Internet Explorer I must support. Again, it’s an economic problem.

Short answer: YES, definitely! But don’t wait too long to move to “the rest” as all you’ll be dealing with is more HTML and CSS and you’ll gain a deeper knowledge of both languages.

So, I am confused. Is CSS grid necessary and important or no? Little lost on what you guys are saying. Thanks

They are just discussing if it’s well supported by most of the used browsers versions. It’s only important if you decide to use it, but there are other alternatives, like flex. But it’s cool either way, give it a try to see if you like it.

@WeiszGuy55 The short answer to your question that many have already pointed out is, yet. With HTML5 basics, you are able to design the backbone of a webpage. With CSS, the backbone of the webpage can be style, which is implied in the name Cascading Style Sheets. However, if you would like to make a webpage more interactive, JS can help you do that.

I recommend you to get the responsive web design certification and then start practicing. You will learn a lot while doing the projects.

Ok, will do guys. I will do the responsive web design first before building a static website. After I build a static website and learn Javascript, what backend language does FCC teach that will enable me to create an e-commerce site?

Thanks guys, FCC is awesome and so are all of you. :slight_smile: