Coding in general

i didnt know where to post this. but i been with FCC for about 2 months now. but i feel i havent improved much. I just want to know in your opinion, does it ever get better over time? I’m not saying im thinking of giving up , otherwise i would of never got my electrical engineering degree . i crashed into alot of brick walls in persuing that to.

I been going through the challenges and building my own projects i come accross . and they are from scratch. i dont look at the step by step code by code yutube videos. i only revisit FCC lessons if i get stuck somewhere or go to the help forums. which i feel bad about bothering you guys because i know you guys work hard and got you own busy work to do on your own. It just kinda discourages me becauise i dont feel like im getting better. I just want to know if i keep at it for over a year will i get better? does it get better than this? because a software engineer level project is way more challenging and complicated then the challenges we are working on here and im having a hard time with just those alone. I notice other posters here will mention stuff like " i have no clue of coding at all" and they havent given up, so neither will I. I’m just struggling and doing everything i can to get better. This is a careeer i really want to get into . I am very greatful to kevin smith, snow monkey, jeremy LT who went out of their way to help me out , if I miss anyone you are also on my the list. Well anyways just venting my frustrations. Just hope to get better.

1 Like

i didnt know where to post this.

This seems like a good place.

I been going through the challenges and building my own projects i come accross . and they are from scratch.

Awesome.

i dont look at the step by step code by code yutube videos.

I don’t know - I found that useful when I was learning.

i only revisit FCC lessons if i get stuck somewhere or go to the help forums.

Consult everything. Seriously, one of the most important skills a developer can have is to know how to google things. In facf, after I finished the FCC coursework, I wouldn’t consult that, but would check out other sources like MDN, documentation, Stack Overflow, etc, to get a more rounded (and often more complete) perspective.

…or go to the help forums. which i feel bad about bothering you guys

Don’t feel bad. The forum is here to help people. And whatever question you have, there are at least half a dozen people wondering the same thing but are too chicken to ask.

I just want to know if i keep at it for over a year will i get better?

First of all, you probably have gotten better and just don’t realize it. But like anything, the more you do it, the better you get.

because a software engineer level project is way more challenging and complicated then the challenges we are working on here and im having a hard time with just those alone.

Yeah, but you build up to it. And a big part of doing those big projects is figuring how to break those into smaller projects, and then break those down… until you have something manageable.

But yeah, this is frustrating. I’m getting close to 3 years on the job and I still get frustrated and feel inadequate all the time - it’s just on a different level.

1 Like

thank alot and I do look at stack overflow, MDN, W3 and youtube. i just avoid the ones that tells you the entire code. thats like copy n pasting solutions. I probably am getting better and not realizing it but the intermediate javascript algorithms are being a kick in the ass. takes me an entire day or sometimes days to do one challenge.

Don’t feel bad about asking for help on the forum. We’re all here because we want to be here.

Programming is a learned skill. So yes, you get better as it as you continue to learn and practice. To a certain extent though, it is always hard. Most of us spend a lot of time trying to do things that push us beyond the skills we’ve already mastered. It’s not something that you learn once and then just know. It’s something that you learn how to do and you keep learning how to do more things.

1 Like

yeah i admit its much harder than designing circuits . i’d to one day be able to be at the level i can code firmware to run logic into FPGA or design a music player app.

Hello @fredsmith27182
Two months is still a really short period of time to see complete results in coding.
However notice that if you are asking this question now is because somewhat you are more aware of your progress.
Don’t focus only in final result, every stage of the process is important.
Also, remember to ask questions when needed, and take the time you need to complete some activities.
Keep patient and constant and you will see how your skills develop and increase.
Best wishes.

1 Like

Echoing the above, don’t get discouraged, 2 months is very little time. Coding is hard and the progress is slow, it’s like watching a plant growing. You don’t literally see it grow, but you do notice from time to time that it has a new leaf or even a whole new branch.
Give it 6 more months and then look back at the code you wrote at the beginning, you will see the progress.

By the way there’s nothing wrong with watching YT videos that code something line by line from start to finish, it can also teach you something. Just to understand how someone with more experience approaches a certain problem and how they write their code. As long as you still write enough code on your own from scratch, which you apparently do, it’s a good addition.

P.S. I started coding in spring 2019 and I recently built my own radio station, so I can listen to my music from everywhere. It’s a full stack MERN app and it’s awesome, you’ll definitely be able to do the same or similar, just don’t give up.

3 Likes

thanks for the great words of encouragement all. Well i managed to do the next 3 intermediate algorithm challenges with no help from the forums . just me , myself and MDN. I know i can be better within 6 more months.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.