Data Visualization Challenges... To React or To not React

Just started the Data Visualization Certification, and I notice the “must use React & Sass” requirements have been removed. Does that mean React & Sass are now optional? Or is this an editing oversight?

Well I did the first challenge Normally and then with React/Sass

Sass added absolutely no value to the project, and React … well at least I learned how to use React, but it also added no value to this project.

I think the benefits compound as things get more complex. Sass has been a life saver on some projects and React has some really cool features. On some of these small projects it may not matter as much, but I can see the benefits on more complex things.

I actually just mentioned something similar in another thread. I’ve been struggling a little to bring my React knowledge back into Codepen. Every course/tutorial I’ve done uses the full range of tools (webpack, etc). AND I’ve been having way too much fun with Vue in Codepen. Don’t really want to fire up a full “app” when it isn’t required.

So, I did something similar: worked through the challenge in React and then re-did it in Vue. The Vue version took less than 5 minutes. The React version… longer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sure speed will increase with time.

I think the core of this section is to get you thinking in terms of modular code. Both React and Sass allow you to build your code in blocks/modules that are easier to maintain.

Look at it another way…

It’s not just about what your favorite library or framework is. It’s about what will get you hired. A lot of the job postings I see mention React and Sass (as well as others). Having some experience in those increase your employability. It’s not about taking a quixotic stand about which one you think is the best. It’s about getting good jobs that pay well. Having a broad base of exposure to different technologies is a good thing. And React and Sass are two of the most popular. You may love Vue (I sure intend to check it out eventually) but going by NPM downloads, React is more than 10X more popular.

Again (at least for me) it’s about what’s going to get me hired. I don’t want to be sitting in my underwear in my mother’s basement, surviving on cat food, mumbling about how my magic choice of libraries is the best and crying about why no one will hire me. Things like React and Angular get jobs.

I just now went onto Indeed to do a job search. A search for “javascript vue” got 80 hits within 50 miles of me. A search for “javascript react” got 1,106. That makes it an easy choice for me. I don’t want to be right. I want to be employed and taking vacations in Fiji.

Just my $.02.

This is an interesting topic. I didn’t see much difference in using React and Sass at first and would often just write plain CSS in my SCSS file. Focusing just on Sass for a moment. I started to check out their DOCS a bit and discovered that Sass has all kinds of super powers. Just one example.

$Red: rgb(130, 53, 67);
$Blue: rgb(106, 162, 181);
$Green: rgb(121, 188, 115);
$Brown: rgb(132, 102, 66);
$Purple: rgb(86, 65, 140);

body {
background: lighten($Blue, 20%);
}

IDK this is just a tiny example of a color function and variables but now i don’t have to manually go to a color picker and find a slightly lighter version of my blue. I find nesting useful too. I just add in new features from Sass over time. I don’t have to learn it all at once.

I so need to get on this… a few years ago I was testing out sass and less to see how they worked, and I remember being blown away, but also just needing to get a project done so I did it with css with a promise to myself to look more into it later. Later did not come… but I really need to get on that now… Features like the one you described sound so awesome…