Does age matter?

Dear friends,

I’m a 33 year-old lawyer in transition to a new career as a Developer/Programmer.

Do you think I could have problems getting an entry level job as a junior developer?
This is my main concern.

Thank you so much for your help!

Is matter but I think if you are older then you can think a bit more better than younger designer and developers. So think it!

Nah. You’re good. If you search the forum for things like “too old” or “too late” you’ll find lots of people with the same concern. You can also follow #devAfter40 on Twitter for some encouragement and inspiration.

I have no idea what concerns you.

30 and 40 are good ages. It’s not like programming is a totally new world that you need to sacriface all your life to be professional. It’s just passing-the-time thing for many people…

There are certainly companies that will choose a younger programmer over an older programer, because they perceive that a younger programmer will be willing work more for less. Frankly you will find that in any profession. That said, there are a lot of companies out there that will not care about your age in the slightest as their primary concern is your ability, not your age.

I keep telling myself that. I’m a 39 year old commercial property broker in transition to a new career as a programmer.

The best advice I can give you is, know your code inside and out and don’t use Old Spice before your interview.

It doesn’t matter at all.

I recently turned 34, started coding in Jan 18 and I landed my junior dev job at the end of March. Everyone I work with is younger than me including my boss but age never comes up or is an issue. All I can say is you have to put in the effort and time!

1 Like