Exit status 137 for repl?

Tell us what’s happening:

Everything was going quite smoothly on my page view data, then it stopped working and is giving me exit status 137, which may be an out of memory issue? I can’t figure out what I did wrong there!

Your code so far

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 11_1_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Page View Time Series Visualizer

Link to the challenge:


I am getting the same issue here…

Quickly playing around swapping portions of my code and yours hasn’t yielded any real result…

Seems like you might have figured it out after all?

I’m really sorry but I don’t remember how I fixed it. You’re welcome to take a look at my source code of course. I did eventually get it working!

Exit status 137 means the process was ended with SIGKILL (exit status >=128 means a signal ended the process. Subtracting 128 gives you signal 9, which is SIGKILL). It’s a strong possibility that your process ran out of memory, since macOS will kill large processes with said signal when it runs out.

Yeah it seems like it is an issue with potentially browser memory or so…

After trying a few things, comparing between our projects I got fed up and eventually fell back on VSCode which ultimately proved the tests all passed in about 3.5 seconds as opposed to failing after a while with this error so that’ll have to be good enough in this case…

I could try testing on other hosting services and playing around with merging slowly differences between our projects but I don’t feel it is something that is worth looking into really so I’m letting it go for now…

Cheers and Thanks for the inputs!

you are right. I had same issue, but when I closed my massive jupyter notebook it worked without issues

Wow yeah that could be it actually I didn’t even think of it…

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully it’ll help somebody else :slight_smile:

I am running the program: First in Notebooks, step by step and it works fine. Then I copy it to my pyCharm local project, and the execution get stuck. When I copy it to replit.com, I get the error you mention: "Killed: Exit status 137. It seems pycharm takes a lot of resources for a while, but do not finish and I have to cancel execution. I suppose in my local machine there is no control for that, whereas replit.com can not allow a process to take so much resources. Any other thoughts?. Thank you very much!

I detected an error because the .csv was called the wrong way.

Hi everybody. I am getting the same error with the Time series visualizer project. It runs fine in Jupiter and my local Pycharm environment. Could it be a temporary problem in replit?. It seems it happens in the last tests because the images get created. Thank you all.

Hi!. I did some additional testing. I found that in my local machine the test takes around 47 seconds. Getting into it, I saw that most of the tests run very fast (less than 10 seconds all), but the ones with plt.subplots (3) are very slow (Around 13 seconds each). Repli cancels after 30 seconds. On the other hand, I see many reports of mathplotlib being slow to run. Any idea how to change the time in repli, so it can run longer? Besides, does someone knows if I could send the link as finished, given that my local program passed all tests?. Thank you.

Could you link to your code on replit? Without seeing it’s going to be hard to say what can speed it up.

Of course. Thank you.

Time of execution shouldn’t be issue, after all replit doesn’t have issues with running node servers. My bet is for using all of allocated memory.

I’ve changed two things and I’m getting stable passes on replit with tests finishing in about 15 seconds.

  • I’ve commented out separate function runs in the main.py file, leaving just run of the tests. They could be left alone, if figsize in the box plot would be lowered.
  • I’ve commented out lines 18 and 19 from time_series_visualizer.py, and added additional arguments to the read_csv method call, to parse date and set date column as index during reading of the csv file.
1 Like

Thank you for your answer. You seem to be right about memory, not time, being the problem, I did the first change and it keeps running… but still fails. I don’t understand what you say about lines 18 and 19. They are blank lines in my code. I am trying the options in the read_csv and see what happens!. Thank you again!.

Update: Thank you. I did what you said and it did it in 13 seconds, passing the test!. Thank you very much!