FCC. How to get started with FCC?

FCC. How to get started with FCC?

Hello,

I wanted to ask if there is any kind of tutorial or article or post or… to help newbies to get well organized to learn with FCC? I find the challenges and the system very helpful to learn to code, and although I am progressing well with them I miss an intro to FCC. There is a wiki but I dont find it half of the times, it has broken links and it looks more interested on talking about a bot (the camper bot) than about how to use FCC. Moreover, all collaboration seems to be based on Git and Github, which I am sure is fantastic but for sure a tool that is not used by people that do not even know html basics.

In case such tutorial does not exist… how can we contribute to point out the things that would be helpful to find in it? who can we write to for such purpose?

Cheers!

As for Git, it can be tricky to get what that’s all about at first. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, it is not essential to know Git or Github until you start to do more complicated coding. If you want to learn it anyway, Udacity has a pretty good course that walks you through the basics of Git.

As for the rest, I’m sure many people here are willing to help with any questions you have about using FCC.

There are levels of ‘using git’ that are easy and not so easy - if you can complete [this tutorial](https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1} for the basics you should be ok.

FCC is great because it provides a road map for what to learn, but its not always the source of all of this information. Here’s what I recommend.

1. Work through all of the html/css/bootstrap/jquery challenges until you reach the basic front-end projects.
  2. Try to do the first project (tribute page). You will probably realize that you forgot most of what you learned by doing the challenges, that’s okay, it’s normal. Go back through past challenges when you need to, google often and force yourself to finish the first two projects with something that you can be proud of. Just use codepen for the projects like FCC recommends, you can switch to github later if you want but don’t worry about it right now. If you find a topic along the way that you don’t understand and are interested in, find a mini course or a good set of youtube videos and work through them until you understand it. example: DevTips is in the middle of a great series on CSS animations, click here to see the first video.
  3. If you are actually able to get through the first two projects, congrats! You’ve already made it further than most people and by now you’re probably hooked on coding. Continue slowly working through the FCC curriculum by following the map and keep stopping along the way to watch YouTube videos and find ways to learn about things that FCC doesn’t cover but you’re still interested in (there are so many resources out there).
  4. Profit.

Well - shouldn’t step 5 be profit?:slight_smile:

Some of the challenges are confusing for new starters. Codecademy has some great learning material and courses you might want to take, but FCC has the path and projects that will get you a job.
My suggestions:

1. Don’t give up. It will get hard and frustrating at times, even when you’ve been coding for several years.
  2. Don’t copy-paste code (or at least figure out how it works and you could write it yourself). Figure things out yourself, you will enjoy it once you make your own solution that works!
  3. Learn when you do things. Think, Why does this do it like that? If you fly through projects, you can say you have made a website, but you won’t remember anything worthwhile about making it.
  4. Have fun!

And even if you decide its not for you, I can promise you will interact with a great community, and have learned skills that will be profitable down the road.

Thank you very much for your reply. Everything that you say makes sense, and I found myself laughing when I read that [quote=“twmilli, post:4, topic:25120”]
You will probably realize that you forgot most of what you learned by doing the challenges
[/quote]

I got similar answers in the chat. However, this is not exactly what I am having problems with. It is not the challenges nor the system. My problem is that FCC gets you into doing challenges without the smallest introduction to what it is (and what is not). For example, your own reply should be part of that intro tutorial that I am demanding. As I said, I would love to give some ideas as to what should be the content. See? The chat can be really useful and so is this blog… but they should be used to reply specific questions and not the more general ones that every newcomer has. The wiki could be that place if properly linked on the main page. Or maybe an article… in fact I think there is also a blog somewere?