Feeling Slow / seeking encouragement

Honestly and please don’t take this as discouragement, consider it as logical learning timeline, so to be a confirmed developer or coder is not a few days learning, probably not even few months. Depending of your persistence, learning will and learning methodology, there is a minimum of 6 months to master your studying subjects.

Probably you will be able to find a basic dev job after finishing your camp but you still needs to learn more, its like you finished building the big house, but you will have to optimize it for perfect use. Simply don’t be hurry, apply the flow of time, no forcing no hurrying.

Keep practicing, searching , evolving and you will reach the highest point.

I am 38 years old, ex-IT Support L2, I started hating repeating the same daily boring IT Support tasks 1 year ago, I realized I no more like too much human interactions, also every IT Support is never thanked for doing perfect job but he/she instantly blamed for any not-responsible-for mistake, so I decided to move to another working field where I have only to deal with my laptop but with new daily task, new daily challenges, new daily or weekly projects, and definitely CODING is the best match for what I am searching for, and it is also an old dream to realize.

I am considering finishing FCC Full Stack Dev then jump into microverse.org which offering Full Stack Dev but with school learning system:

• Monday to Friday, 8h15 to 17h15
  • Students are divided into groups of 5
  • Cam and Micro must be enabled for daily video-conference ( you will not feel loneliness)
  • Daily projects
  • Tutors are there for video-conference help
  • Plus Ruby and Ruby on rails certifications
  • You will have to pay microverse once you are recruited, they will assist you in recruitment.
  • Also I think you will have to financially support FCC when you could, at least this is what I believe in.

Do you see bro ? I already set a one year learning!

Just be patient, do not try to burn the steps, follow your own flow of time, be persistent and you will succeed.

Regards

5 Likes

That seems like a good idea! Always remember: baby-steps! And try not to get hung-up on every single detail. IN MY OPINION (this is debatable), at this point you need a general concept of how the language work, and then once you start building your own apps you will have to re-learn some things and you will know which concepts are useful to you and which are not that important.

3 Likes

@i-tech
Hey mate,
Thanks for the reply, ill stick in the time. I was having some cabin fever / nobody to chat too about the coding journey and sometimes its good to chat to others about stuff. Nobody else in my family understands what im trying to do with coding.

Ill need to be persistent and patient, but i will get there, thanks for your comment.

Im happy to keep learning after my bootcamp.

2 Likes

Hey Tommy!

(Warning, I ended up writing quite a bit. If you find anything useful let me know :slight_smile:…)

I’m pondering on whether you’re a Brit considering you said ‘blatantly’ :smiley:.

I myself am 28, work in finance and also studied SAS a bit like @Groucha, woop woop. No degree and for the longest while I was stumbling around without a clue of what to do than a friend sent me a link to freecodecamp.

One year has passed since then and in the middle of it I stopped doing it altogether because of the amount of mistakes I was making. Came back a month ago and holy crap - I remembered all the mistakes and thanks to that I was coding really well :smiley:.

I find it admirable that you’re trying to switch out of an industry that doesn’t fulfil you. I think the fact you are working toward something external, outside of work time is all the proof you need that you’re definitely somewhat motivated to at least do something else that interests you, am I wrong to say that?

I too was slightly jelous of people who seem to just pick up coding instantly but ultimately comparing myself to them was useless. Their experience and brains are wired in a certain way. The good news is that if coding interests you and you find solving problems fun, even if also daunting, then you are in a good place. I’m a slow-ass learner because I learn things deeply. I believe learning something as well as I can is the only way I can find the best practices/most universal principles in any field of knowledge.

And being a slow-ass learner I can tell you - there are downsides and there are benefits, like with all things. Downside - it takes a long bloody time. Upside - I am more careful with what I ‘install’ in my brain. Because I’m slow I look at a few sources of how something is done and the best solution is usually self-apparent. I then try implementing that into code which brings me to my last point:

If ANKI works for you, use it. I personally found coding to be easily comparable to anything else in life that requires doing to learn properly. Imagine reading a cooking book but not really cutting the ingredients, not seasoning the food by touch and feel and then not smelling it to see how the food transformed with the additional ‘x’. It would be very difficult to become the ‘intuitive’ expert in anything without doing it as much as possible.

Time. Practice. Refinement. And forums! :slight_smile: Use the knowledge of other people.

I enjoy pointing out obvious things because they are so obvious we rarely ponder them: CHEAT by using the knowledge of everyone around you that want to give it for free. And there’s plenty of people out there, FCC being a very solid example of it.

I believe that if you want your life to be different, you are patient enough with yourself and if you don’t compare yourself unnecessarily to others you will go a long way.

Instead of having no time-frame or a month or 2, give yourself a year. Two years. Five.

Or follow this simple example. Take the number 100 and extrapolate it by compounding it with interest of 1% every day for a year. So 100*1.01 = 101. 101 * 1.01 = 102.01. At the end of 365 days you end up with 3740.93. Imagine compounding your coding practice every day for a year. Lets say you will improve by this 1% every day. It is rather possible that you can be 37 times better at something if you just use the near-exclusive superpower of human potential: using time to our benefit.

I sincerely wish you all the best with your journey.

Grizhlie

1 Like

Hellow !

Do you use other programs in you day-to-day work ?
What do you think about SAS ?

Could you explain what do you mean by cheat ?

Have a nice day/night !

I’m pretty sure the word was being used ironically just to mean “get a big advantage for nothing”, not actual dishonesty.

:slight_smile:

Sorry haha maybe I cut the hair in four.
Bu what can be the effect into your mind if you’re associating “cheat” and “use knowledges of everyone” ?
I associate cheat with negative content, maybe @Grizhlie had not this association in mind so I asked ^^

Haha, @chuckadams is 100% correct. I used the term ironically.

I was always amazed with the human ability (when comparing them to every other animal out there) of passing down knowledge. It allows us to accumulate and pass on knowledge to anyone who wishes to consume it.

@Groucha It is such an amazing advantage/super-power/gift that I humorously always considered it a cheat. It is of course a blessing, or simply a fact of life for a human that I wish not to take for granted. The fact that someone can spend… I don’t know - 50,000 hours learning how something works and then they pass down the results which take us much less time to understand… pretty darn awesome.

My role in finance is not really based on me formatting a bunch of data so whilst the company paid for my SAS course they did not ensure I, and many others, could have used it! Day to day will consist, or did consist of: Excel, PowerBI, Power Automate (wonderful tool from Microsoft), Notion to manage my time and whatever else helps me. So nothing super interesting :frowning:

Thanx for the details :slight_smile:

Are you kidding! Everyone has cabin fever and if they don’t give up and just let up soon with the fear nonsense, everyone is going to blow up whether they are coders or cops! My family and I are so bored and we’re going nutsy-coockoo! :boom:

That is what makes us humans and not animals. :slightly_smiling_face:

All humans are animals.

Not all animals are humans though.

Are you sincere? Or are you just being silly?

Never mind. Let’s just forget it if you are sincere. i don’t want to start something.

If all humans were animals, how could some animals be human…they would just be ANIMALS!

A friendly reminder that we strive to keep conversations civil and polite. Please remember to treat each other with respect and kindness. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course. Thank you for reminding me. :slightly_smiling_face: I must be calm about this.

Grizhlie, if you wish to continue this conversation, please pm me. We probably should not discuss this in a forum just for coding. If it seems I am getting too heated about this, please let me know.

Commenting only on the set theory, “all of Set A are in Set B” does indeed mean that “Some of Set B are in Set A”. Set theory is a fun corner of mathematics.

1 Like

I have to say I absolutely loved set theory.