First project - do I modify the Tribute pen in codePen or write it from the beginning?

Tell us what’s happening:
I am doing my first project, working out where to start!
When I launch codePen, it takes me to the various Pens so am I meant to download the tribute pen page and modify it or write the tribute page from the beginning?

Your code so far
There is no code as yet as I want to find out the answer to this question.

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.1.2 Safari/605.1.15.

Challenge: Build a Tribute Page

Link to the challenge:

You are learning development so you start your own project from scratch.

@johnmander

The usual protocol is to either fork the testing suite page into your project or create your project from scratch in CodePen and then add the testing script to test.

You can also use a text editor such as VS code or Atom to write the code and then copy/paste the code into codepen to test and share the code, that’s the method I used, and it worked out great.

Hope this helped,
Best,
Cy499_Studios

Welcome @johnmander.

When you open the link for the tribute page it has all the user stories you’ll need to complete.
At the bottom of that instruction page is a link you can click that will bring up FCC’s pen. In the bottom right of that pen there’s a link to click to fork that pen. Make sure you’re logged into your codepen account. When you fork you’ll have a blank pen that has the test suite that you’ll need to run to ensure all user stories have been met.
Starting from scratch write code to meet each user story and after that’s complete you can start styling your page.

The sample projects that FCC shows are just one way to do the project. You don’t want to copy code from them. As the instructions say, your pen should be “functionally similar” and “give it your own personal style”.

Hope this helps.

Happy coding!

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, and thanks, I am determined to get the hang of this. I have been away from code quite a while (I programmed in BASIC some time back) so I know I will get it.

Thank you. It has been a while since I coded. Would you recommend reviewing the courses to refresh myself of the commands or the freecodecamp videos?

If I had a choice I’d say review the courses. That way you’ll have a chance to type and refresh your muscle memory.

Ok, thank you for your response.

1 Like

@johnmander

I’m also a new web developer, don’t worry, you’ll get there. :wink:

just remember to have fun and keep learning,

Best,
Cy499_Studios

Thank you cy499_Studios, I remember I used to really enjoy doing it back in the day so I know I just need to get my head around it.
Thanks for your encouraging words :+1: