[Frontend] Find a job abroad with 2.5 years of work experience

Hello, everyone!

I’m a 23-year-old front-end developer living in Moscow, Russia. I have 2.5 years of experience working in one of the top companies in our country. My goal is to find a job abroad in either Frontend or Fullstack. I’m currently working as a mid-level developer, but I’m open to both junior and mid-level positions.

I’d highlight the following skills of mine:

• 3 years of experience with React. One multi-page personal project with this framework (from 2022). I worked with Redux, MobX, and I have some understanding of Webpack, since I had to configure its config several times.

• Firm grasp on algorithms. I solved around 2000 problems on LeetCode, and my rating wasn’t too bad either.

• On the backend, I worked with Python Django and used to write some complex SQL queries. But honestly, I’d rather not take the backend route.

• I have a CS background, so I have some knowledge of advanced math and programming concepts.

• I have an IELTS certificate that proves that I have a C1 in English, so I wouldn’t have any problem communicating in this language.

My questions are these:

1. Should I now work on improving my CV? If so, is it better to contribute to open source or work on a new impressive project? My GitHub hasn’t been updated in almost a year, and I’m afraid it might throw a potential employer off. My goal is to get some interviews.

2. What topics should I brush on to pass the interviews themselves? Are there only “Data Structures and Algorithms” and JS-related questions? Or should I practice some system design as well?

Thank you for your time!

I mean, it looks really really good. CS background, going back there’s obviously programming experience from a young age, work experience shows good progression & plenty of experience in things that are widely used.

The issue isn’t going to be that: I feel you’d get interviews based on that CV pretty reliably, even in the current job market. The issue is going to be that because of where you live, if it’s remote work, you’re too difficult to hire in the countries that otherwise would be most likely to hire you.

If you’re emigrating for work that’s a different kind of red tape, and in a situation where that was done, as I said, you’re likely to get interviews based on the CV. I’d maybe flesh out some technical details on the work experience, but that’s probably best tailored to individual applications.

1 Like

I agree that you look like a pretty strong candidate. You didn’t say what country you’re hoping to get work in, but a good next step might be researching the hiring conventions (preferred resume format, typical interview process and style, etc) and the international employment laws for your target country(s).

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

To be honest, I don’t consider the remote work at all and would like to move to another country completely. I understand the issues I might face, given my country of origin, but I think it’s worth the try anyway. I really hope the employers wouldn’t get too prejudiced.

Thanks for your comment!

I mainly considered Europe, especially the more developed countries. I also don’t mind working in Australia, but it’s second on my list.

I wouldn’t like to move to North America for several reasons. As for Asia, I think it’d be a bit too much of a cultural shock for me, especially since I’m moving completely on my own. And I don’t consider Latin America or Africa.

I didn’t know I have to learn about the international employment laws for my target country. Thank you for mentioning it!

One of the things I’ve learned from this international community is that everything from resume format to salary negotiations has small but significant variations from country to country. It can be a lot to research and keep track of, but if you’re organized hopefully you can make progress. Good luck!

1 Like