GitHub Page, Error 404

Hello all,

I 'm facing a problem with GitHub Pages.

I 've tried to make a GitHub Page for my Portfolio, following this GitHub Pages Guide for “User or Organization Site”, but when I finish it and open a browser to visit my GitHub Page, it says:


There isn’t a GitHub Pages site here.

Note: I managed to make such a GitHub Page in the past, using the same account and the same Repository name, and there was no problem then.

Today, I deleted the repository and made it from scratch, with the same name, and since then it seems it cannot recognise it, or something.

Does anyone have any idea about why this is happening?

Thanks in advance. :slightly_smiling_face:

That is odd. I went through the steps here just now, and (aside from the fact that I’m an idiot, typed my username wrong the first time), it works, kinda.

I found that, in my particular case, I had to explicitly include the index.html file in the url, then it seems to be working as advertised.

1 Like

Hello my friend, thanks for help.

Unfortunately, that didn 't work in my case, either.

Yeah, I noticed that. Still tinkering with yours to see why. My point was simply, while the docs are a little off, the site hosting aspect is functioning as (mostly) advertised.

1 Like

Do you think this issue has to do with the fact that I had already had a GitHub Page, in a Repository with the same name, which I deleted before making them again from scratch?

Shouldn’t matter, I think. Of course, I’m now leery as heck of TESTING that theory…

1 Like

I checked your deployment section and it does not seem like you linked your repository to be deployed on pages:
Go to repository settings and see if you can change GitHub pages settings:


Hello my friend,

No, I can 't change these.

What actions should I do to get my repo deployed?

All I’m seeing for code in the html file is

Hello World

Try changing it to

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <meta charset="UTF-8">
  <title>Hello World<title>
  <h1>Hello World</h1>

Thank you my friend!

Now it works! :slight_smile:



I really liked the DZamora54 answer

And at that point, he was accurate. Hadn’t thought that would cause the problem, but it would seem… :wink:

Had the same problem and your solution solved it :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! I know im very late, but it appears that the problem is not with the html file… plain text works just fine. The issue was solved by triggering a redeploy of github pages. To do that without changing your code, run

git commit --allow-empty -m "trigger pages rebuild"
git push

you might need to do this multiple times tho…