Has anyone got a got just by doing FCC?

Or would you need other things to get a job?

1 Like

freeCodeCamp is to learn the basics.
When you are done with all the challenges it’s time to move forward on your journey learning programming.

yes, people have gotten jobs following freecodecamp, just remember that freecodecamp is where you learn, and after you need to practice building stuff on your own, contributing to open source etc

you need practice using the stuff you learn and build projects to show that you can use them

2 Likes

Hi @alex123711!

These links will help

1 Like

Hey, i’ve been 2 years in the field of web dev, and i learned everything i know for free online. I did not hold a degree related to STEM prior. FCC was not the only thing i learned from, but FCC was tremendously helpful in getting me to understanding the basic concept of everything before going out on my own. You need to make sure you are exhaustive in your learning, and FCC will not do that for you.
In order to get a job though, you need a solid portfolio, and you need to network with people in companies that will vouch for you to get an interview.

Thanks for the reply, what did you do apart from fcc? What did your psth look like?

I mostly did.

I used other online resources and did some stuff that freeCodeCamp exposed me to but wasn’t officially freeCodeCamp related. But I didn’t get a CS degree or attend a paid bootcamp, if that’s what your question is really trying to determine.

@alex123711 I consider myself taught, what I learned from my CIS program in college was C and Java. About it. As now a hiring manager this is advice I give to self-taught/bootcamp folks.

It is about your developer journey as I call it. Which is the culmination of your developer portfolio showing me how long and how hard have you been working. If I see you’ve completed FCC gone onto to complete some course on Code Academy and your github profile has some solid and well documented projects that speaks volumes to me.

Where I think people get discouraged is they think just completing FCC or finishing a Bootcamp means they are entitled to a job… well that isn’t how this works. You have to show that you think of this as a journey and that it is about hardwork. Why I recommend starting a github portfolio early with nice documented repositories with readmes.

Is making projects on my own, like practicing, enough to call it a portfolio i.e. if I have let’s say 10 projects and I am applying for a junior dev job?
In short, I am asking what makes a portfolio great?
Thanks in advance.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.