Hi everyone I have a question

Im pretty new at this , but do you think I should learn HTML and CSS to the fullest, (or to the point that I really understand html and css completely) before going on to Javascript?

how did you guys do it?

:slight_smile:

greetings.

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Learn enough theory so you can start building things and then the projects you build will start to determine what you need to learn next.

The list of things to learn at this stage is basically infinite, so you may as well just start building stuff and follow your interest.

2 Likes

You should understand where HTML is currently at with the new semantic elements introduced, how to write a basic HTML page by hand properly, how to properly style an HTML page including external stylesheets using the link tag, and where they go, it might be useful to understand the meta tags and header attributes of a page as well. That is all basic stuff.

This is all pretty basic and I’d say is sufficient even. This is mostly going to play out in your DOM interactinos (Document Object Model), not plain javascript that doesn’t interact with the page. So the more of HTML and CSS you know the better you will be able to utilize JavaScript to manipulate the former.

Moving forward you’re going to want to learn html forms, http, etc, etc. As @JacksonBates said theres’ no real stopping, but just understand what you’re doing when building a static web page, how to include external styles and try to memorize a little here and there as you go and you should be set.

I do not now, nor do I ever expect to, fully understand CSS.

2 Likes

Yeah, you will never have to fully understand CSS.
The reason why Bootstrap was created by the guys at twitter was so people who did heavy, back-end coding could understand and communicate with the guys doing front-end.

For many programmers, CSS is an afterthought. But don’t worry man, as you progress in the following months, your brain will mutate and grow in ways that will make it very easy to study up on CSS. Right now, in the beginning, just follow what you are INTERESTED in, and don’t be afraid to tell yourself that you’ll learn some of the boring stuff later.

1 Like

Huh? Bootstrap is a purely front-end library.

One way to get a great basic understanding of HTML and CSS is to take the very quick tutorials at W3Schools.com. They’ll give you the essential syntax. HTML is easy and quick to learn - you can do it within one hour. (Responsive design with HTML and CSS is another level entirely.)

CSS syntax by itself is only a starting point. Learning how to make the CSS cascade right definitely has a learning curve. FreeCodeCamp’s projects can help with that.

Once you’ve got the basics of HTML and CSS, you’ll probably want to integrate the Javascript, because most websites are interactive. So you’ll learn to use CSS and JS concurrently.

And then there are all the tools: Bootstrap (not necessary, but it makes responsive design much easier), jQuery (just a Javascript library, but it has its own syntax), Ajax and JSON (for communicating with a server), etc. These can be added as your skills grow.

1 Like

Yup! A really simple one that back-end developers can grok without wasting too much mental power.

Don’t use that website. They have outdated information. Use codecademy or here, or treehouse, or udemy, or linda. Not w3schools.

Do they? Well, it’s not all HTML5, but is everyone using HTML5 yet?

It’s still a clean, quick, free way to learn syntax. Udemy and Treehouse cost money. Codecademy may be a better way to go, then.

Just go along with freeCodeCamp, it gives you a good mixture. All 3 of them are linked, so you need to know.

I also search up a lot of things on stack overflow and W3S school for help

A post was split to a new topic: Calculating total price

I know what you’re saying, I felt the same when I was starting out. I enjoyed how easy it was to look up what I wanted to know on their site. When I ended up referring to them and the information I was telling others was not completely true, or even industry best, it wasn’t worth it.

And yes everyone is using HTML5. HTML5 introduces semantic elements like <main> <article> <emphasis>.

Try to use Mozilla Developer Network, Codecademy. You don’t have to use the sites you pay for. http://html5doctor.com/ is an amazing HTML website with charts and articles all about HTML. Look up Wes Bos for tutorials on JavaScript development. Look up CSS-Tricks for even more general web dev articles and resources.

Theres a lot out there. : )

But wouldn’t it be great to fully understand CSS?

There’s also Coursera which has many courses that don’t require you to pay…althought, you do have the option to pay for it, and at the same time get a certificate of the course.

1 Like