Hi! Introduction / Curriculum advice

Hi!

(Intro)
I decided a year ago I was interested in coding, and originally started with C# just because some posts online made it seem like a great language, but within a week or two I drifted away from coding because I couldn’t envision what I would actually use C# for, and got bored / unmotivated. Recently, I decided I wanted to get back into it, and decided to give web design a try, because my father has a business that would benefit from a website. The thought of being able to fulfill that for him is extremely motivating, and web design’s instant gratification of seeing the results of what I’m actually coding makes it super fun. Now to the advice portion.

(Advice)
I spent roughly 6 focused / successful learning hours learning the HTML basics, with a little bit of CSS from a FCC Youtube video, then moved over to the actual course on the website. Over the past 3 days I have completed everything in the “Responsive Web Design” curriculum up to the projects we are supposed to make on our own. Learning speed is a tricky subject, but from personal experience, is this too fast to start trying these projects? I am reading the user stories, and I understand what they’re asking for, but at the same time can’t put on a page what they’re wanting without needing to look back in the curriculum for a nudge in the right direction. Should I go through the curriculum again? Or continue trudging forward in hopes that it just starts to click to the point I don’t have to look in the curriculum for help anymore?

Sorry for such a long, and multifaceted question. Any advice would be awesome! I want to continue learning at an optimal pace, but I don’t want to rush through it and come out of the course with less knowledge than I should have. Thanks!

Chris

Hi @Jabbavii !

Welcome to the forum!

Projects and challenges are two very different things.
A lot of people have been in your situation.
They find themselves going through the challenges pretty quickly and then they get to the projects and aren’t sure how to build them without looking up things.

That is completely normal.

You have to remember that you have only been exposed to these concepts once.

The only way you are going to remember is through constant practice.
Take each user story slowly and look up what you need to.
There is no need to go through the entire curriculum again.

The real goal of the projects is to learn how to research, ask question and read error messages.

With enough practice you will know how to build basic web pages with html and css.

1 Like

I also want to point out that this will change when you start working with your first programming language which will be javascript.
I know you said you worked with C# for a couple of weeks about a year ago.

But the lessons in the javascript curriculum will take a lot longer than a few days for most people who haven’t had significant programming experience before.
Just be ready for that change because it catches most people off guard. :grinning:

1 Like

Everybody learns at their own pace. As long as you went through it and know you can do “x”, even if you can’t remember how to do “x”, you’re probably not going too fast. I would say move on to the projects and go back and lookup or google what you don’t remember how to do.

As you learn there are things you will remember the more you do, but (I think most programmers would say) you’ll never know how or remember everything. Looking up how to do “x” will always be a part of programming no matter how much you learn, and it’s normal.

1 Like

Hi @Jabbavii
Welcome to the forums.
First of all, congratulations for having the initiative to learn something challenging.

I would check the curriculum again, but with a different approach, you can check the parts you feel you have more trouble. Also, don’t be a passive learner. Do not only watch videos, you can replicate the example in a video/book at the same time. Personally, I think learning by doing is the best way to learn to code.
Do not worry if in the process you forget some basic things. Every programmer has good and bad days. And is virtually impossible to make great projects without any error.
Coding is less like an exam, and much more like a life:
You are constantly learning new things and fixing errors. Don’t get caught by the need of immediate results.
Hope this helps. Practice makes (almost) perfect. :grin: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Best wishes.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, and I always coding during YouTube videos and tutorials, I agree it’s the best way to learn! I also spend an hour after each tutorial session coding a personal website just trying to implement what I’ve just learned. I agree it’s the best way to learn! Thank you for responding!

1 Like

Ok, thank you! I was going into the projects thinking I needed to know every line of code I was supposed to write by memory! This makes me feel much better!

Thanks for the heads up!

I’m glad you said that. Thank you, it makes me feel better knowing what I’m feeling is normal! Haha

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.