How do you actually get a coding interview?

Just to reiterate what others are saying - don’t make them work for it. You need that job more than they need you - they have hundreds of applicants that are going out of their way to make it as easy as possible for the hirer to quickly and easily determine their fit. On the first pass they’re probably only spending 5 seconds on each resume. You’re giving them a scavenger hunt.

Another way to look at it is that you are getting a 0% success rate with your current method - what have you got to loose? You have access to several decades of collective wisdom here trying to help you out.

I might also suggest checking out youtube videos critiquing resumes and developer portfolios, and hints. I’ve enjoyed a lot of Joshua Fluke’s stuff.

1 Like

I also enjoy Joshua Fluke’s channel.

He has a lot of great content.
You can skip the videos about his messed up family.
But his videos on resumes, and portfolios are really good.
Plus he is dating an HR person so she often will give her opinion on why she rejects resumes.

I also really enjoy Real Tough Candy’s youtube channel.
She gives really good portfolio reviews and resumes.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I’ve followed the advice on this forum. It has not worked. I still have not had a single interview.

What do they know/understand ?

I’ve followed the advice on this forum. It has not worked. I still have not had a single interview.

It is a process with a lot of different moving parts.

I’m seeing your resume for the first time…

To me it looks dated, it looks like an old HTML page. I don’t like crazy designs, but I think you could breath some life into this.

To me, the skills should pop more. I like a multi column table - I want them to be able to scan that in a few sections.

Your projects section should be shorter I think, just pick the best 3-5 - they can go to your portfolio site for the rest.

I don’t care much about your “additional experience” - those should be compressed as small as possible - they take up valuable real estate and attention. All the “experience” stuff should just be work history, with the non-relevant stuff as small as possible - that would give you more room to make the skills pop more.

Also, what are some of the jobs you are applying to?

2 Likes

I think you have a big advantage over a lot of self taught developers but you are not showcasing it well.

You have actual work experience as a developer but right now it is buried in the middle of your resume.

I would move that further up the resume before your projects.

I also don’t think you need that line in your about section saying you having more experience than the average bootcamp or college grad.

Your experience as a php developer and react developer says that.

Also, you want to be careful about small typos like this
“Fully automate business logic with javascript and React.js Express Application”

It should be JavaScript not javascript.
Every detail matters.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

The only education that HR/recruiters know are college/university degrees, or possibly a very well-known coding bootcamp. You don’t need to waste space on your resume listing FCC certifications.

Looking at your latest resume shows several things that still need to be fixed. All acronyms and proper nouns need to be properly capitalized. You have extraneous words, and in other cases, missing words. Your resume is 2 pages when it should be one. However, the biggest omission is a link to your LinkedIn profile and a GitHub profile link. Not having either of those is considered a red flag.

Also too many of your bullet points are unimpressive. You need to state more concrete achievements. Was there a result or accomplishment you achieved anywhere? Most of your work experience reads as if you were bored doing the work. What sorts of things did you actually do and accomplish?

And you don’t need to use up so much space to list projects. Just list the best ones that you’ve done. Delete ones that don’t add anything constructive (i.e. the Pokemon application).

Lastly your site on Netlify probably shouldn’t be a React app. You don’t show anything on it that’s a proper use case for React in the first place, and anyone who has JavaScript disabled won’t see anything either. I’d highly recommend just making it a basic HTML + CSS page, and only using JavaScript where absolutely necessary.

1 Like

I was working in marketing and building drag and drop wordpress sites. I dont really have true develper experience. Those projects were more extra curricular.

any job that does not have the word ‘senior’ but has any of the words ‘php mysql react javascript node’. Although, theres always some technology they want you to have that isnt taught here or is not taught in depth.

I have taken the following advice from the most recent comments:

The recommendations from this thread re updating the resume are working to get recruiters replying to me, thank you for that. I also seperated the projects into its own document, as a few recruiters were asking for a projects list (it’s the same stuff listed on my website under the ‘work’ section).

Despite this, I still cant get past them into an actual interview… The one where they actually test your skills to determine if you know enough for them to want to work with you (technical interview). Ive spoken to around 15 recruiters or HR people so far, they ask the same questions. I dont get an interview with the actual company/engineering team. Actually I did get one, it was a recorded virtual interview where I answered a few soft skill questions, it had a coding section at the end. I failed:

Virtual interview post

Another company send me a link to take an online aptitude test. The recruiter shared the results:

I did decent because I studied up on how to do these types of tests… Somehow this company believes being able to do long division super fast by hand is a required skill to be a good software developer. I had another interview with their recruiter the other day but, I have a feeling I wont get a technical interview …

in summary, basically In terms of actual interviews I am like 1/200 so far… application to interview ratio if your counting the virtual recorded interview plus timed coding exercise I failed. If I could get a fraction of the interviews the gentleman that wrote the article recieved, I would have a better idea which areas I need to improve upon and what types of jobs I could get.

Possibly the case for some of the applications I sent out, I know im not that good but what I am taking from this thread is that I have requirements for an entry level position in the field. Or should be able to get there in a short period of time If I only knew what I needed to focus on?

I believe it may be my github. Theres alot up there that is sloppily coded.

Im my experience its been like this so far, apply to job through linked in or online job posting site, recruiter reaches out, I interview with them for 30 min, they tell me about the company that they are recruiting for, sometimes I have to fill out another application, once in a while I will get to do a soft skills interview with a hiring manager at the company… so repetetive …

Something like this can work?

Dear recruiter hiring manager, here is my life story etc… Here is the same stuff that is on my resume and cover letter that your going to ask me to repeat etc… I dont care how much the job pays, Would it be possible to do the technical interviews first?

Why must I speak to the recruiter repeating the same stuff thats on the resume, then reapply again so im again in their system, then I have to schedule with a hiring manager. How can they determine im not technically profiencient from a soft skills interview, one in which they have not asked any technical questions nor asked me to solve any coding challenges.

I dont really have true develper experience. Those projects were more extra curricular.

Then build some. Keep building projects. You will improve your skills, improve your portfolio, and will impress upon them that you are enthusiastic about coding.

Ive spoken to around 15 recruiters or HR people so far, they ask the same questions. dont get an interview with the actual company/engineering team.

Yup, we all know that song.

You are applying to positions well above your skills/experience.

Possibly the case for some of the applications I sent out, …

Yeah, I don’t think there is anything wrong with applying for things that are a little above you, just don’t depend on that.

I have an old friend - he has a friend named Steve. Steve is a bit of a loser. He’s never had a job. He makes a little bread by trying to fix broken things he finds and trying to sell them at swap meets. He was constantly in debt and crashing on people’s couches. My friend convinced him to look for a real job. Steve spent a couple weeks looking through want ads before telling my friend that there weren’t any jobs that he wanted. He, a man whose never had a job and barely has a GED without the slightest sense of irony, he proudly said the words, “I think I should hold out for something in management.” Yeah, we shouldn’t be that guy.

But if you’re applying for lower jobs too, you’re probably fine.

Why must I speak to the recruiter repeating the same stuff thats on the resume, then reapply again so im again in their system, then I have to schedule with a hiring manager.

That’s just the game. They have the prize, they make the rules. Yes, it is *EXTREMELY frustrating. Yes, I often sent in my resume, had to repeat everything at every interview, and often had to re-enter everything into their system. Yup. They don’t make it easy, especially for your first job. If you want that prize, you’re going to have to bark like a seal and do their tricks. And you have to smile while doing it.

Yeah, your email from a recruiter. Yeah, there are a lot of recruiters that aren’t affiliated directly with the companies but try to make commission by scraping linkedin, etc, for keywords and sending out a gazillion emails. I never had much luck with those people. To me those are the bottom of the barrel recruiters. There are decent recruiters out there, but my email got spammed with a gazillion emails from people that hadn’t even looked at my resume. Yup.

This is just the game. Unless you know someone, I don’t know a way around it.

I would also reiterate my advice - every time you get a rejection, send a little note.

Hello, thank your for taking the time to consider my for your position. I’m sorry to hear that it won’t work out. I am still learning this process - Is there any advice you can give me? Was there something specific where I could improve?

You won’t get an answer every time. But the few times I did get an answer, it was very helpful.

Just keep at it. Keep working on your resume, portfolio, github, linkedin, etc. If you can find meetups in your area, go and talk to other developers. Have them take a look at what you have. Do a practice interview, etc. My experience is that most people are worse at interviewing than they realize.

Just as a quick observation, I don’t know if KravMaguy is a great professional name. I was a jazz guitar player for decades. I had an email that reflected that. I got a new email and “brand” when I got into coding. I don’t know - I realize it seems like a small thing, but some people might be put off by someone that is so into martial arts that he’s named himself after one. I know, it’s silly, but you need every chance you can get. Just a thought.

1 Like

I’d like to steal this line… copy and paste… it’s golden, much better than what I was sending out before.

On fcc its set in stone? I could change the github username, the backlinks will be broken, but, I guess if whatever I was doing before was not working than I have nothing to loose.

I wouldn’t worry about FCC - that’s not really a super important thing for getting a job - employers aren’t going to dig though the FCC archives… But github, linkedin, email, portfolio site … Even youtube or twitter if you are using those professionally.

1 Like