How much i need to know?

If I spend something like 6-8 hours a day, for about 6 months studying in freecodecamp I’m going to be able to work? I believe it is a superficial question, but if I do, can freecodecamp even provide the knowledge necessary to learn how to code? (Already studying programming has a time, and already I have a good basic knowledge)

Think of freeCodeCamp as a roadmap, giving you tests and challenges, so you’ll know what you DONT know, so you can find resources around the web to study it in-depth – to better prepare you for your interview and your first developer job.

FreeCodeCamp isn’t an online course in the traditional sense that you have an instructor teaching or spoon feeding you. Here, you feed yourself. (In the same way just like in the real world, when you have that developer job, you have to find answers and solutions to your own problems on your own.)

That means, reading free e-books, maybe enrolling in some video courses, watching youtube videos, reading the official documentation/reference manual, and participating in the forum to ask/learn/teach others, buying a book, and doing lots of coding and hands-on practice.

FCC alone isn’t going to cut it, I’m afraid. You’ll need to supplement it with other materials. I myself am also following P1xt’s web dev path, along with other resources I find online.

freeCodeCamp helps get you on the path of being job ready but just completing freeCodeCamp’s programs alone might not be enough - you’ll still need to make sure you learn the problem solving skills (algo challenges help with that - you can skip advanced algos but DON’T - they’re hard but you gain problem solving skills), you’ll likely need to learn computer science for technical interviews even if you don’t go get CS degree - still learn the skills - this github repo (https://github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides) will help guide you along the path to becoming job ready - this collection of Udacity courses (free of charge - https://www.udacity.com/courses/georgia-tech-masters-in-cs - a lot of work but take all the courses) will also help you become job ready. Realistically you’ll be investing at least the next few years of your life just to become job ready - but it’s worth it - and once you get into a job most I’ve seen are very well paying jobs.

Hi Danillo! I’ve started FreeCodeCamp in January and I comitted myself this year to do a career change. I was a construction director for 15 year and FreeCodeCamp helped me a lot. Nowadays I’m finishing the Back End Cert and starting to look for my first job.

I guess during the FreeCodeCamp path you’ll find the need to study aside. For that you can improve your skills with google and stack overflow. The main component of a developer is to know how to search for info cause the web development scope is wide and full of details. I thinks it’s the best path you can follow and it’s free. Don’t loose your time with extensive books cause motivation comes from the community and from the surpassing of the difficulties you’ll encounter. Programming is an art. It is hard and challenging. Don’t expect to press the same buttons all day long.

Don’t follow P1XT guides! They are too difficult to start and he recommends stuff that is not essential and recomended for beginners. P1XT doesn’t focus on the needs of the people that are starting and doesn’t have a pedagogic background to help the newbies. Start at your own speed and surpass the difficulties everyday. Don’t compare yourself! The race it’s against you and it’s a marathon! It requires perseverance, humility and discipline! Be Strong Code On!

If you want you can join the FreeCodeCamp Faro Facebook group! We’re an welcoming group with sense of humour and with a wide open background spectres! We also provide some strength and motivation for your journey! BSCO! Be Strong & Code On!

PS: By the time you finish FreeCodeCamp you’ll be a better developer than 50% of the guys that are in the market nowadays.

They’re not difficult - the guide requires you to engage in a lot of heavy cognitive thinking and it’s very draining at first but over time you’ll learn a lot and be able to endure heavy cognitive thinking all day no big deal :slight_smile:

The first books he recommends is YDKJS! Do you think it’s the better suggestion? Question Mark. I’m interested in motivate people and in my opinion that’s not the first step. Anyways, I agree that P1XT has a nice compilation of what u need to be good doing the job in spite of not seeing it as a first approach to introduce programming.

Read them all, the worst that can happen is you learn more than you expected, and the worst thing is a good thing, the best and worst thing at the same time :slight_smile:

p1xt explained why she put them at the beginning:

She said this at the end:

You can start with JS at the same time (in spite of not being the right path). But not with YDKS because it doesn’t teaches you how to start programming focusing in the mechanics of the language (it’s an advanced book).

Of course you can start studying quantum mechanics to put the learning curve’s a bit steep but my opinion is that you should start by learning how to add 2 +2. Different points of view :wink:

i’m use coursera, and udacity to learn about cs fundamentals. and i’m reading java how to program.
and fcc i use to learn about front-end/backend(in the future)

i’m doing some free courses about fundamentals. thanks

I can totally respect your opinion and point of view…the only thing I have a issue with really is flat out telling people not to use P1xt’s guides. There is no one path right for everyone, but no one path wrong for everyone either.

While you personally may not find it reasonable to start with YDKJS, it may be the key for someone else. Personally, I am still trudging through those books (while also doing FCC Front End and CS50x) and…finally am just about the start the last one and to be honest, except for the first book which wasnt too bad, the rest have been a real effort in determination because I dont understand most of what I read as I read it.

Here’s whats interesting though…as Ive been going through my FCC challenges and looking for resources for help, I’ll come across something that is familiar to me and I get that glorious a-ha! moment because I had already read about it in YDKJS. Those books are not on the level of quantum science as you describe, they are things that we actually need to know, its just that as beginners, everything about JS is unfamiliar…and learning unfamiliar things is hard.

P1xt has a viewpoint that I do totally agree with, to not decide if something is hard its not worth doing. Shes very upfront about it that it is hard…its specifically for people who want to hunker down and focus on being as prepared for a job as possible in as little time as possible while learning as much as possible. You have to be hungry, determined and a little bit crazy to go the P1xt route, I happen to be all three so, so far so good Like I said, its not for everyone, but not wrong for everyone either, so its not fair or right to tell people not to do it because it wasnt the right path for you personally.

@cndragn I wouldn’t worry overmuch, the folks who have the determination to benefit from my guides don’t tend to listen to the “this is too hard” posts. There are some people who aren’t cut out for my guides, they lack the “grit” (for lack of a better term). And, that’s ok, there are plenty of other resources out there. My “core audience” tends to thrive on those “a-ha” moments, and the guides are (and will remain) just where I want them in terms of difficulty.

There are thousands of “I’m a beginner, walk me through the beginner basics” resources out there. That’s not at all what I try to provide in my guides. My goal is to put out a resource for the “I’m a beginner but I don’t want to spend the next year of my life having my hand held through how to construct a for loop, show me what I REALLY need to know to be good at this” crowd. Based on the results I’ve seen thusfar, for the people who really dive in and are determined, it doesn’t matter AT ALL whether they have experience or are totally beginners, their ability skyrockets.

TLDR; it’s ok if he doesn’t like it. It’s ok if he tells people it’s too hard for beginners. The determined people will ignore him. For every “this is too hard, I quit”, there’s someone else who sticks with it and thrives on the challenge. And, those who thrive on the challenge aren’t going to be discouraged by a beginner griping about the difficulty.

I try to be really nice about people struggling at first however to sum it up in three words “don’t be lazy” - now my long explanation coding is like 100% cognitive thinking - it’s hard to get into the habit of cognitively thinking and you’ll be tired at first - you have to get into the pattern of it otherwise you’ll be constantly tired when trying to code.

How is YDKJS not essential for beginners?