How much of FreeCodeCamp to learn to get a job?

How much of FreeCodeCamp to learn to get a job? Could I just learn the HTML, CSS and Javascript sections to get a job? And if I can, how fast can it be done? I’m already an experienced hobby programmer, so I believe I can blow through those quickly. And if so, what kind of jobs should I look for?

I’m talking about the bare minimum…

This is basically impossible to answer and I’m not sure if trying to get by doing the bare minimum is the most productive attitude either. Nothing is guaranteed. You still have to make the job offer happen. The jobs offers dont come flying in after you have solved 37 algorithms and have the front end cert etc.

Best of luck

6 Likes

Indeed…not sure what you are looking for really as far as the bare minimum… If you are already an experienced enough programmer that you will be able to blow through all the lessons, then it means you wont likely actually learn anything from it. If you are under the impression to just get it over with so you have a certificate…do know, the value is not int he certificate, but in what you learn from the course.

So if you are already experienced with HTML, CSS and JavaScript then you already have the knowledge to go ahead and start applying to jobs now.

On that note,its often been said that Front End alone is not enough to land a job…many people do, so thats why I say, if you are already experienced in JavaScript, start looking for a JS developers position. But the full benefit and to really increase your chances of hireability would be to also complete, at the least, the Back End in addition to what Front End teaches.

Hope that helps.

6 Likes

6-1/2 hours. or 7 hours including snack time.

2 Likes

Yeah,

There are a lot of jobs, but there is also a lot of competition.

Sure, you might find a job with someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing and doesn’t realize that you don’t know what you’re doing. You might also win the lottery. I wouldn’t bet on either.

How long? Are you starting from scratch? Then you’re probably looking at hundreds of hours to get even a low level of competence. Probably thousands before you’re really ready.

There are so many factors that it’s impossible to say. How much coding experience do you have? What are your goals? Do you want to make cute little web pages for the local PTA? Then the frontend section will probably be enough to get started. Or are you trying to get a fullstack job at a SV startup? Then you’re going to need this program and a lot of experience, plus a few other languages. Where you live could have a big effect too.

FCC is a good place to start. It will give you a good grounding in the fundamentals. Depending on your experience, aptitude, and time commitment, it may take a few months, or a few years to get through. But at least when you’re done, you’ll have a good grounding.

But there’s never a guarantee of a job. There’s only knowledge. And if you get enough knowledge, you can leverage that into a job.

But this is a long term project. Don’t plan on getting a job right away. Sometimes it happens - guys who work their asses off and get lucky. But don’t bet on it. Just put in the time and work. It will pay off eventually, just maybe not in the time frame you want.

2 Likes

Someone who was very active and relatively highly regarded created guides to additional learning… this is their recommended minimum

just for comparison and support to what others here are saying…

https://forum.freecodecamp.org/t/computer-deprecated-guide-get-job-ready-with-1-fcc-cert-3-projects-2-courses-and-10-books/64027

go check out the revised guides on GitHub:

1 Like

Definitely not a winning attitude to have in regards to web development or life. You need to be willing to learn as much as you can and struggle through the process. On another note it’ll be about 4 months this Sunday since I started and by then I’ll only have 3 projects and 9 algorithms left so I’ll say it’s doable to finish fcc front end in 5 months or less with no prior experience. I think it’s reasonable to start applying for jobs after you have 5 projects and the portfolio done. But still need to be determined to learn as much as possible via other resources. YDKJS and Learn HTML and CSS are pretty solid.

1 Like

The p1xt guides are good, and kind of a reality check too.

1 Like

LOL you’re joking, right?

I have plenty of experience, but I have to relearn everything to be solid. It’s hard to make a lot of things if you have forgotten the languages or most of it.

5 months? What about with prior experience? Especially a ton of it… What if I spend at least 12 hours a day or more? At least 6 days a week?

Thanks so much for the guides!

Thanks so much for your inputs. I want to devote at least 72 hours a week…

Instead of talking about hypotheticals just go for it. I doubt you’ll actually put in that much work but prove me wrong. Also as someone who pursued a niche sport competitively for a while . . . I would say that you only have a good 4-5 hours of high performance productivity that you can output in a given day. So diminishing returns . . .

2 Likes

about 3 fidy is enough.

1 Like

But…with my previous experience, I’m probably better off at pulling 72 hours in a week, right? I definitely am the competitive type. Not step on your shoes competitive, just (always desire to be) Olympic competitive. You you saw how I perform in real life, you would know that I am a competitive worker. I’m like that in probably 90% of my work (jobs). But it’s not really hypothetical…just want an experienced perspective while attempting to do it. I need realism in my perspective when I try.

1 Like

“3 fidy”?

I don’t get it…

Could I just learn the HTML, CSS and Javascript sections to get a job?

and then…

I have plenty of experience, but I have to relearn everything to be solid. It’s hard to make a lot of things if you have forgotten the languages or most of it.

I’m not sure how to understand this. Do you know HTML, CSS, and JS or not? That is the question. What languages have you coded in? How long ago? To what level? Are you coding video games in Java? Or are you writing a few VBA scripts for your spreadsheets? Those are very different things.

You’ve asked a vague question so you got a range of vague answers. It would be like if I called the auto repair shop and asked for an estimate but didn’t tell him what the car was or what was wrong with it.

Even with very accurate information, this would be a nearly impossible question to answer. And you seem to be very stingy with the information. Until you explain what “plenty of experience” means, the question is meaningless so so are the answers.

But if your goal is to do the “bare minimum”, then this isn’t for you. Coding isn’t a get rich quick scheme. It is a highly competitive field that is constantly evolving and new technologies are popping up every month. This isn’t a field where “bare minimum” does well - as if such a field even exists.

“3 fidy”?
I don’t get it…

It’s a South Park reference.

3 Likes

I’m a professional jazz guitarist. This reminds me of when I was once emailed for a quote. The guy wanted me to play his party.

OK: What date? What time? For how long? What location? What size band?

There was a back and forth email exchange that went on for a few days, but he just didn’t want to give me any details. Was it me playing solo around the block on a Tuesday night? Or was it a 12 piece big band for New Years in Tahoe? He just didn’t want to answer.

So I told him, “Somewhere in the range of $100 to $10,000.” He was furious. He said that he’d done this every year he’d gotten someone to do this and he’d never had this problem. I told him that no professional musician would give a quote without at least some details. He cursed me out and never emailed again.

2 Likes