How to further improve Pagespeed score for mobile on my website?

Right now my website is doing great on desktop score, but on mobile i’m getting around 68 score. What can I do to further increase it to at least 90 or more? Actually the only sites I have seen with perfect scores are websites Cloudfront based like this one: https://www.fitnessblender.com/
On the other hand I already implemented Cloudflare and Critical CSS, so I don’t know what to try next. And I don’t want the extra cost of optimizing “Unused CSS” nor “Unused JS” (from PA opportunities) unless there’s a free way to do so…
This is the link to my test website: https://www.tomastestart.com

First of all. Your score is above average of other developers sites. And speed is only one of the factors that makes a web site good. But I admit I am also addicted to speed.

I am not a fan of Wordpress. Why? The logic behind is hidden behind layer upon layer that you have limited control of. Wordpress contacts a plugin that contacts JQuery that contacts Javascript etc. So increase the speed of a Wordpress site is a real challenge.

I tested a handcrafted web site with practically no dependencies. But I think this is not possible with Wordpress. Using https://web.dev you can fine tune every aspect. Things that seems to not being related to speed can affect speed.

https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.go4webdev.org

But you can increase the speed of your site by adding Brotli and other stuff in the Cloudflare panel. Look at all the settings that increase the speed. And get rid of Google Analytics if you use this. It is a real show stopper.

1 Like

Thank you Sibert!! :slight_smile:

First of all. Your score is above average of other developers sites.

Yeah but not because of that my website shouldn’t be fast…

But I admit I am also addicted to speed.

:+1: :wink:

But you can increase the speed of your site by adding Brotli and other stuff in the Cloudflare panel.

Already enabled, but it was good to check it because I didn’t remember I had “Auto-minify” enabled, though I’m using already a plugin for that in Wordpress, perhaps I should leave only one enabled.

Things that seems to not being related to speed can affect speed.

Ohh can you name them more or less? or the most important ones?

And get rid of Google Analytics if you use this. It is a real show stopper.

Yep. And what do you use for insights? I think they are kind of important … :confused:

I got a 94% performance score with Lighthouse in Chrome on the site you posted (second link) which I find fairly impressive considering it’s a WordPress site.

1. HTTP/2 and HTTPS
  2. Avoid JQuery or check at least if they are safe
  3. I just run a couple of Wordpress sites, so my experience is limited. But I have run Drupal (which is slower than Wordpress - replaced now with Golang) for a decade. The principe is the same. Every plugin is a nail in the speed coffin.
  4. Faulty code. I am surprised how little attention many gives to use correct code.
  5. Dead meat. Calling code that is not used.
  6. Small and properly sized images (0.6 sec to save)
  7. There is a couple of tiny tutorials in my profile (I am not allowed to post it on FCC)

The list can be longer, but this is something to start with…

1. I added my own log. Basically a simple text file that stores some data.
  2. Cloudflare have a basic Insight that not affect speed.
  3. Google Search Console gives you some valuable info without speed loss.

Just try cut out the Analytics tag in the <head> for a day or two and watch the speed increase. Maybe it only affected me :slight_smile:

1 Like

My personal experience is that Cloudflare increase the speed successively when all servers around the world is cached. And the speed is not the same around the clock.

Thanks!! Albeit that is only on desktop? (or at least according to my tests).

Amazing stuff thanks so much!!
Regards to:
5. That refers to scripts not used at all or used in parts?
6. Yes that is something is not finished yet, but definitively to improve. Good news is I already know how to achieve it in this case.
4. Will try to correct them :wink:
7. I looked your profile but didn’t find tutorial links, perhaps can you PM me with the links? If yes appreciated :slight_smile:

There’s also another point: scripts right now are mostly set with CDN links, but since I’m already using Cloudlflare most likely I should replace them as local loaded scripts?

Thanks again!!!

Every character, pixel counts. Less is better. But if the code is not used it is dead meat.

Sent via PM. OK?

All traffic counts. Fonts, Javascript, CSS etc. There are few things faster than “local”.

1 Like

Sent via PM. OK?

Received it, thanks :wink:
I’m exploring it…

May I ask how to implement that without being a hassle or not practical to update? I know this at least for unused CSS there’s Rapidload (paid service though) but automated.

Which one may be them? Sorry I know I ask a lot of questions.

I do not know anything else than manually check. But Google is your friend…

I do not know what you mean with “Which one may be them”? Generally the bigger files, the more traffic. For an example you have 11 fonts that may be reduced to three. Not only for the speed but for better design. If there is a logo with few characters, you can use a svg image instead.

Alright!

I meant which are the things faster than “local” loading. But not sure you meant in the context of CDN or not

The fastest on a server is the RAM. Cached RAM stuff or Redis (noSQL database basically served from the RAM)

Interesting first time I hear about RAM in web hosting… I guess in VPS you have more control… or maybe I’m wrong in my ignorance…

Yes, using the mobile option for the test but running on a desktop.

Ultimately, I think the platform is a limiting factor. I haven’t followed the WordPress development as of late but I don’t really see a WP site with a large theme all the bells and whistles, plus some plugins, etc. being able to get on par with a static site.

The other site you linked to is as far as I can tell a static site made with Vue.

AFAIK a modern hosting is a service upon virtual servers as well. The main difference is that you have no root access. What you can do or not do is limited by the hosting company.