How to like CSS

Hello,
less of a question and more just hanging my laundry here but…
I hate front-end and being creative. I started the javascript courses and am enjoying it way more but for the CSS projects I did the bare minimum then moved on. I know this is just wasting the educational opportunities (and having a portfolio) so I’m trying to go back and pretty them up a lot more.
My problem is that I hate CSS. It’s cool and all but nothing is clicking with me. I know enough to do satisfy the project requirements but…
I kinda get how the different positions work (grid and flex) but I feel like I’m just floundering around which makes me dislike it more. I know how to make a basic HTML page but when I try to do it on my own everything becomes a div. Do I use a class or id? Should I wrap this in a div or naw?
Does anyone know any good resources to help CSS/HTML click?
This post is all over the place sorry just frustrated. I wanna like this but can’t.

Don’t like CSS, it is not mandatory - going forward you will learn libraries that will make using CSS less painful, or you could find out you prefer the part of web dev that doesn’t deal with the client at all

Just keep going through, learn enough CSS to pass the projects, and keep going.

Design and implementation are not the same thing. I’m pretty crap at design, but I do have to figure out what to do with the code to make a design that I’m given work.

You don’t have to love it, but I do recommend trying to be pragmatic about it. Dealing with fiddly CSS is likely to be part of your job sometimes. Being good at it means that you can spend less time on it. Many projects try to leverage CSS libraries to minimize their CSS work, but it’s still something that comes up. It’s perfectly fine to have a “I don’t particularly like dealing with CSS, but I can do it when I have to” attitude, but try not to develop strong antagonistic attitudes toward it. Think of it like doing laundry or dishes: it’s just a part of life whether you like it or not so put on some music and just get it done.

As said, you might never get to love it. But if you get decent at it, it becomes a lot more fun.

I’d suggest taking a stricter approach to learning CSS. It isn’t about tricks and random gimmicks. Just like JS, CSS has rules you need to learn. If you just try to brute force your way it becomes frustrating and time-consuming. CSS is not as random and unpredictable as some think it is, if it was, the browser vendors would not be able to implement the features as set out by the standards.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.