Struggling with implementing my CSS knowledge into my HTML knowledge

Hey everyone, hope all is well with everyone!

I just wanted to make this post, because I have a bit of an issue.

My goal is to become a web developer for my career at some point, and FCC has been my primary resource for learning web-developer skills. I feel the platform has the best structured curriculum that works the best for me. I’m currently working my way through the “Responsive Web Design” course.

However, I became somewhat conflicted, when I began my first “certificate” project of building a survey form, to test my CSS and HTML skills. Up until reaching this checkpoint, I felt as though I was making some great strides in my knowledge of learning HTML+CSS. Now, I feel as though, I’m not quite so confident that I possess as much knowledge as I thought I did. (Mostly regaurding CSS, I feel)

When I began the project, it really just dawned on me, that while I am quite comfortable with HTML for the most part, I really just don’t feel near as comfortable or fluent with CSS and this really discouraged me quite a bit. I thought I’d be able to produce a somewhat decent survey form without looking up any advice or help, but I honestly could not.

I was able to put together a good survey form with just HTML, but I could not hardly at all style it with CSS. I now feel like I’m not sure how much I’ve retained and I guess I just wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any similar issues when reaching this point? I mean, should I just go back to the beginning and restart since I feel this way? Or should I continue going forward and maybe more CSS lessons will start making it stick more? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

A common misconception of people who are starting to learn to code is that they think they need to remember everything. Thats not the case, and it is impossible to remember everything because coding as a while is just too large. Anyone who says they never have to look something up is fooling themselves. I have to look up things all the time for work when I am working. Part of being a developer is being able to google and solve your problems. The more you practice with these tools the more they will stick. The only advice I can give is if you feel like it would be better for you to go back and refresh yourself then so it, but dont think you are not making an progress because you cant remember every little thing. It would be an issue if you had to look for help on every step. If you were not able to do anything on your own then I would say go back and definitely start over

1 Like

Just look up what you need when you need it.
For eg. When I did my survey form I wanted to include animation. I didn’t know how to do that so I looked it up.
I wanted to do gradients. I didn’t remember how, so I looked that up.
What are your styling ideas?
Look them up, one by one and implement them.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.