HTML Course: Portfolio Project

Hi everyone,

I’ve just completed the HTML certification and I’m looking for some feedback on the portfolio project. I’m finding that I don’t have much trouble satisfying the user stories for each of these projects, but I do wonder about the overall visual design and my approach to coding the html and css.

Version 1: https://codepen.io/SRM049/pen/bGWvjvQ?editors=1100

Version 2: https://codepen.io/SRM049/pen/abWKdbZ

I feel like my page design is a bit basic at the moment (maybe to be expected at this stage) and I certainly feel like I have a lot of trouble writing coherent CSS and later modifying it without breaking everything. I had a go at using the Systematic CSS methodology to help organise things but I’m not sure of the results. I’m going back and having a crack at BEM right now to see if it works any better for me (just creating some individual basic blocks in separate codepens for practice that I think might be useful later)

Any feedback anyone can give would be appreciated.

Your pages looks good @murphysr049. Some things to revisit;

• Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • There are HTML syntax/coding errors you should be aware of and address.
    • Since copy/paste from codepen you can ignore the first warning and first two errors.
  • Keep all your styling external. Do not use in-line styling.

I’m not trying to be harsh but I looked at a couple of your other projects. There is the bare minimum for passing the user stories.

The project landing page is copied/duplicated lorem text and there is not a viable video.

The tech doc page is repeated lorem text. Again, not much thought put into it. A code snippet typically would be more than one word. Styling it to look like code would require some research.
In programming circles, you’ll hear a lot of conversations regarding (technical) documentation in reference to explaining an API, a library, project contribution, etc. Reading and writing good documentation is an important skill and doing this project about a code related subject gives you a good reason to go do some research about the tools you are learning to use.

Hi @murphysr049 !

Welcome to the forum!

I only looked at version 2.

I think your page looks good.
It would be nice if there was an image for the survey form.

Also, you might consider adding a smooth scroll to the page.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.