I don't feel properly prepared for Project 2

I mean, I’ll figure it out because I am not going to quit; but Project 2 feels like it relies more on us googling specific things, and it’s very frustrating when what I am trying to implement simply doesn’t work.

For example, I’ve been trying to add a simple splash screen for the past hour and a half.

Never learned about Navbars/Background images but nothing google can’t teach me.

Just some incite.

You will have to get used to it, all the projects expect you to do a lot of googling. Going through the Boostrap docs will certainly help you with the navbar and responsiveness. And if you have any questions/problems don’t hesitate to ask them here.

2 Likes

“Coding is hard”… I am just about finished with my “ten” hours of JavaScript and have utilized the “Read-Ask-Search” approach more than ever, it is frustrating not just knowing how to write syntax, trust me, I know; but this frustration – to a certain extent – is growth. You’re testing your intellectual boundaries, broadening your horizons.

For the majority of topics, I find myself reading stack exchange, FCC forums, and other articles for hours on end to fully grasp the concepts; most notably, bootstrap grids, switches, arrays…(and many more).

Do not think of Free Code Camp as your sole teacher of programming (So do not get frustrated when you have to seek out helpers(like people on this forum)). Yes, it offers the basis for many concepts and ideas, but ample time should be spent reviewing and studying and practicing on your own (or with others).

You seem pretty adamant about learning, so I have no doubt you will “figure it out”. But, Just know we all struggle, because “coding is hard”.

I really like W3schools tutorial on Bootstrap Nav Bars, this may be of help.

You got this!

(also, maybe start off simpler, then as skills progress, go back and fix it up)

1 Like

As a fellow newbie I understand your frustration, @Kozs. I noticed right away that I had to do a lot of research just to manage my tribute page thus far.

Still, as someone who’s been self-learning front end web design as a hobby (on and off) for a few years now, I can still very much appreciate how FCC gives you a path to follow, even if you are expected to fork off on your own research quite often.

2 Likes

You got the right idea. It just takes some time and searching to learn all that stuff. It’s a lot, you can’t simply memorize everything at once. It was exactly the same for me. I didn’t know about navbars so I just tried to make one with whatever I knew the time. Later on I decided to do a bit of research and found a ton of info like all the other components bootstrap has including something for the navbars, how most people used lists for their bars (I just used some floats), that you can make those lists horizontal, that there is a nav tag, and a bunch of other tags (sematic elements or something like that), etc.

Take your time. Just make sure you’re constantly looking at it and you will eventually learn it. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Learning to google things is very important. This isn’t Mr. Robot, where the dude just types perfect code every time. In real life, we get stumped and go to google. I think this is literally why Stack
Overflow was created. The important thing is that you’re also learning how to code.

Get good at googling stuff, study other people’s code, understand it at least to the point that you’re able to modify it to suit your needs. That’s just part of the process.

2 Likes

Don’t get discouraged that you have to look things up. One of the best parts of FCC is that is it prepares you real world challenges. No manager or client is doing to give you a perfect walk through of every tool you need to complete a job. If you’re lucky they’ll actually give you a list of goals for the project that are correct. I think that is the great part of FCC, and probably one of the reason so many of the students are getting jobs after working through the courses. You’ll start to see as you continue through the challenges that the concepts you struggled with in the early challenges you’ll be building with ease and only looking up the tougher topics. Oh, and if you’re anything like me, no matter how far you get, you’ll still spend hours trying to center things on pages or make fonts look right! :slight_smile: There’s gotta be a better way!!

Google is your friend. Also, W3 and MDN are great resources.

Good luck!

I thought the same thing, but I have decided to wait until I finish the advanced projects so I have something to put on the profile page.
I am still tweaking the tribute page as I learn more about bootstrap from their documentation.
I am psyched about finally finishing the record collection and profile lookup to finally collapse the basic JavaScript on the map.
In those two challenges, I started doing something that I should have been doing all along, adding lots of comments so I can remember what I did.
That will be my next revision of the tribute page.
I don’t see any problem with making the profile page the last project before I apply for the front end dev cert (whenever that may be)
Good Luck

That’s pretty much my reasoning as well. During the time I started FCC, my HTML/CSS were minimum at best. After I finished all of the front-end projects, the portfolio was my last thing.

I second using Bootstrap documentation.