Today i accepted my first developer job so i figured i would share my story with you to hopefully motivate some of you.
My journey is quite a long one - i have written my first lines of code probably 15years ago, as i was always fascinated by computers.
Unfortunately i was a very lazy student which meant that i could not go to university. So i went into an other profession and gave up on coding. Until 2010 when i started to attend evening school to finally be able to go to university to study software engineering.
In 2014 i started studying software engineering at university. In November this year i felt confident enough to apply for jobs and after about one month of applications i got a job as a java developer.
Getting a job is just the beginning of an even larger journey, my goal for the next year is to get up to speed as soon as i can so that i can be a productive team member. This is a bit scary but overall i am very happy for the opportunity i have gotten.
- I dont believe in talent - if you put in the work you will be successfull
- Focus on the fundamentals not on new languages or that trendy framework
- If you dont have a degree you need to showcase of what you are capable - put your stuff on github
- You will fail whiteboard interviews and some people will try to bring you down - work on your interviewing skills and dont let anyone tell you of what you are capable or not.
- Get a mentor
- Im lucky that education in my country is free, but i think my FCC Certificate also played a big role as it showed people that im serious about learning.