I just got laid off and now wondering if it is possible to make a transition if I do freecodecamp?

Hello,

I just got laid off from a job in the health industry that is completely unrelated to tech. I am burned out and have been thinking about making the switch and getting into web page designing or web development since it has been a prior interest. This is a huge change for me. I am wondering if it would be unrealistic to expect to get into a new job via completing freecodecamp? What kind of job would I be searching for and would I be starting low on salary? I just want to know what I would be getting into before making the switch.

Thank you in advance!

Lots of people have used freeCodeCamp to gain skills for a career change. freeCodeCamp teaches full stack web development, so researching entry level web developer jobs in your area will give you a rough idea of the job market and salary range.

One thing to keep in mind is that development a skill that takes time and practice to build. Even if you are able to spend consistent time studying, I would expect to spend at least a year working on it before starting work as a developer.

1 Like

Hi @litnomad !

Welcome to the forum!

As was mentioned earlier, freeCodeCamp teaches full stack javascript. The first four certifications focus on frontend development while the next three after that focus on relationship databases and backend development.

My suggestion would be to start from the top which is the HTML and CSS certification and work your way down from there.

After you have been programming for a few months and the newness wears off, you will know if you you enjoy it enough to pursue it as a career or if you are interested in something else like web design.

Keep in mind web development and web design are two different jobs.
freeCodeCamp focuses on web development.

I started learning with freeCodeCamp back in 2020 and now work full time as a developer.
You will find other stories on the forum, of people who used to working in another career before switching to software.

The self taught isn’t easy but it is worth it IMO.

While it is possible to land a job, it will take a lot longer than you think and there is more than just learning the skills required to landing a job.
I always advise people to watch Danny Thompson’s and Leon Noel’s career videos on YouTube.
They have some of the best advise on what you need to do when it comes to resumes, projects, etc in order to land that first job and they have helped a lot of people.

Well you mentioned web design and web development which are two different jobs.
Web designers create the layout and designs for the site while developments take those designs and implement on the web page using HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Within web development, there are different areas that you can work in like frontend, backend, databases, full stack, etc.

I wouldn’t worry to much about all the different areas since you are just starting out.
freeCodeCamp gives an overview on the different areas through the curriculum.

Once you have been programming for a while then you will start to know which areas you are interested more.

Salaries vary a lot around the world.

In the states, you could make a pretty decent starting wage as a junior dev (60-70K. sometimes less. sometimes more. It just depends)

I would suggest looking at developer jobs in your area to get an idea.

It can be daunting at first to jump into a brand new industry.

My advice would be to try learning to code for a few months and see if you like it.

Most people enjoy the beginning but then the newness factor wears off and things start to get harder. At that point, you will know if this is something you will be interested in or not.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.