I just got my job offer!

Congradulations, You’re doing great. Because of you many people they have more encourge follow this way.

1 Like

Congratulations! This just gave me hope for I am currently in your previous situation. I am in more than 2 years of unemployment due to some family problem, but I have been learning and coding for the past years. I want to start looking for a job now but, I feel I am not confident enough to try. I have one question though, in your interviews, have they ever asked about the 6 years gap? How did you explain it and did you think they really care about those gap?

1 Like

They did ask my 6 years gap and took it very serious. they even asked me how to fit a routine schedule after 6 years not in a regular job. Actually, the hiring manager even told me that the gap brought some troubles to my background check, as I can not provide any document to prove I’m current unemployed and not involve in any bad things in the past. this actually worried me a lot during the background check period. But think god, they let it pass. when i was doing interview with the hiring manager, I explained her my real situation very honestly. at the first 3 years, I learnt how to programming and make video game, I showed her the game I created. this actually showed her I am a quick and good learner, i have strong will to learn new things. and I told her the reason I switched to web development, I had a child and I need to feed my family, that is one of reasons she decided to raise 20% salary for me, as she told me so.
then I showed her my projects, showed her what I have done in the past three years, and told her that I am having a part time job.
So you should expect that they certainly will ask, and you need prepare this question good. my personal experience is, be honest, and don’t make it as your weakness, make it as your strength. It is kind of difficult and tricky thing, but try your best, make a good strategy for how to tell them.

4 Likes

I think the whole point is showing that you have strong will and drive to learn, and you have proved that you have ability to learn, to code. if you have a couple demo projects, then you have qualification to enter this industry, so don’t fear to apply. Let them decide if you fit to the job, just my two cents.

2 Likes

You deserve it man, You really do. That motivated me also…
Good luck :heart:

1 Like

I have almost given up being a web developer, but now, I am motivated again. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Thanks man, I’m ready glad to know I’m not alone. I’m currently working on some FCC projects to show off in my portfolio, and finally polish up my portfolio. Hopefully this will give me enough confidence in me to start applying.

1 Like

Congrats for your job @DiamondGotFenny it’s amazing! I’m currently on the path to learning Web Development and your story inspires me.

3 Likes

Congrats. wish you the very best in your new journey

1 Like

Congrats on the new job! All the best for future.

1 Like

Thanks for this post, really helped me ! Have a good journey as a software developer.

1 Like

Congratulations!! So inspiring. I sometimes doubt that getting a job is possible at the end of all this, this gives me so much hope :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulations, Your an Inspiration

1 Like

Hi congrates dude!

Can zou please tell in which field your job offer was and your journey with programming? how you start (which languages, and the order you studied them until the latest you learn so far ) how you decide how and at what to start.

Thank

I’m happy for you brother, more money into your account

1 Like

Hi ImagoDaruma, my job offer came from a big IT consultant company, not those FAANG type tech companies.

At the beginning, I learnt C# with Unity 3D, as I want to develop video games. It is lucky for me that i started learning coding by making games, it had a lot of fun, I might give up if not the case. Software development is not as interesting as game development , I have to say. and using C# made me have good understanding at OOP and composite programming, that benefit me a lot in the following programming path.

When I decided to switch to the web development, I did some researches, in order to have a picture about this area, you can find lots of those information in FCC, youtube channels, Medium. then I read those recruiting information from indeed, LinkedIn etc, so that I know what techniques are in demand in the market.

following those wise advises from experts, I started from fundamentals: html, css, javascript, then I made some demo projects with those techniques.

Then I started learning reactjs, and made some projects with it. then I moved to node.js, express.js, mongoDB and Mongooses. now, I am learning Angular and typescript, and jQuery. because I have to try to migrate an accent project from jQuery to angular, as the client ask.

that’s pretty much the journey I went through

1 Like

hello, congratulations and good luck.

1 Like

Congratulations! Have a great career ahead

1 Like

That is really inspiring. Thank you very much for your post and congratulations on your new job!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.