I just got my job offer!

Hi everyone
I am very excited and happy this week, I just got a job offer from a big IT company a couple days ago, the company is good as well as the pay. This is my first job since 6 years ago . It means a lot to me and my family. I quit my job(my last job have nothing related to the IT industry ) and decided to be a independent video game developer 6 years ago, that is where I start learning programming. I stick to that path for three years, I didn’t get much money, even a job during that times, then my daughter was born, I realized that I need to switch to another area to get a job to support my family. it is hard, I have to take care my girl, since i am the one who is jobless in family, and i have a part time job, after that I can take rest time to learn building website. I was like having one or two hour per day. I learnt things from FCC, Udemy, youtube channels, from the html to ReactJS.

Ok, I know many self-learners may doubt, at least myself used to have, can i really get a job in this industry without having a CS degree, just through self-taught? Do this whole thing is like a fraud, all those guys want is selling course to me? will the industry accept new comers like us? now I got the answer, it is real, you can get a job in this industry through self-learning, even I don’t have a CS or software engineer degree. All you need is persistence! Keep learning and practicing!

I learnt coding from FCC , udemy, youtube channels, I created demo projects, github repositories, portfolio website. I wrote a CV and put it to Linkedin, monster, indeed, stackoverflow. I sent job applications. and prepared well to my interviews. then I got my job offer.

due to my interview experience, you can not only rely on knowing html, css and vanila javascript to land a job. you need to learn a framework, react, vue or angular, they all in demand. by the way, next.js is good if you are react stack, I had a interview from a big international bank, they kind of satisfy with me, except that I have no experience in next.js and SSR, so I didn’t get that job. and you will have to learn backend and database, I am learning Node.js and MongoDB, and already built a demo project based on them, that 's part of reason I got my job offer, and gonna to be software engineer. about the algorithm test, it really depends on companies, some companies require a algorithm test, some not, but coding test is a must, anyway. so do prepare for it. and, except for the tech things, another important thing is preparing the general interview questions, such as “why you want to work for us?” “what is your strength and weakness?” “do you think you a good team player?” etc. make sure you prepare them as well, because the hiring manager will ask. I got 20% salary raise because I did well at this part. and github repositories and your personal portfolio website are really important as well. do demo projects, don’t just taking courses. You can really learn something by doing projects.

the job demand is really huge in this industry , i keep receiving 5 to 10 calls from recruiters or HR every month. so don’t get discourage or doubt, believe in yourself. you will get a job as long as you keep learning and practicing. I really want to think FCC community, youtubers who sharing their knowledges and experiences, I can not make it without their help. if a 37 years old man, me, can do it, you can as well. trust yourself.

49 Likes

Hi @DiamondGotFenny !

Congrats on the new job!

3 Likes

Howdy! It seems hard works pays off, but your journey isn’t ended. As long as you like what you do, you need to always improve and study new things and never stop :+1:

2 Likes

thanks. I agree that for me, there are still a lot of things to learn to be a good software engineer. I think learning new things it is part of job as programmer. to be honest, I’m still not sure if i can do this job well. but I think an advantage of self-learners is we’ve already prove that we have the drive and ability to learning new things. so yeah, a good programmer never stop learning.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Hearing about your journey has given me hope to keep applying everyday.

1 Like

Congrats on the new job! I am also a career changer and I’ve been pretty bummed out about not having a CS degree. I already have a Masters in my current career and felt like I’m throwing it all away. It would only feel worth it if I can find a new career WITHOUT having to get another degree. I’m also in my mid-30’s so this really gives me hope. Thanks again for sharing!

3 Likes

Am really happy to hear this. That’s a lot of motivation to me. Congrats on your new job

1 Like

thanks. I know your feeling, when you sent hundreds of job applications get very few responds, or no responds after interviews, it really make you feel frustrated. everyone have to go through this stage. I don’t want to be clichés, but the only way you can do is review why I failed, then improve it. just keep going, I believe you can make it.

2 Likes

thanks. I have a master degree in other area too, It is Media. I actually make it a selling point during my intervew, I said I could be a good team player because of my work experience in media industry. I have a friend, he doesn’t have a degree in media, but he now make a lot tv programmes for TV stations. I guess that is life. You need to keep looking till you find your right path. I have to say, programmer is good career path if you want to switch, It treats everyone fairly, no matter what your background is, and pay you good. just keep going, good things will happen to you.

1 Like

Congratulation sir. I will testify soon

1 Like

@DiamondGotFenny Congrats Sir !
As you know there is no stopping in IT field. You gotta keep learning. Learning never stops in this field. You just motivated me to keep going. And what you said at the last matters a lot. Persistence ! Thanks
Cheers !

3 Likes

Congrats on this! I’m glad all your hard work payed off!

1 Like

Well done, :clap:t2:
I really love hearing theses self taught success stories. :muscle:
I’ve only just started on my coding journey just got my first certificate today but your fantastic news gives me confidence in that im doing the right thing.
Good luck in your future job.

3 Likes

Hi @DiamondGotFenny,
Inspiring story. Thanks and congrats for your new role.

1 Like

Congratulations bro, hard work surely pays.

1 Like

Thanx a bunch for motivation man .

1 Like

Congratulations! I am astonished that you spent six years in the journey, but finally you learned a lot. Keep going on. And never stop learning.

3 Likes

@DiamondGotFenny I am very much motivated by your story as I am also in my early 30’s and just started learning coding. Hope to learn it soon and get a well paid job in IT industry as my background was not into IT.

1 Like

congratulations!!! its a bit difficult to find a good job nowadays…

1 Like

I believe never too late to learn code and no IT backgournd is not a problem as well. You can get some certifications from AWS, or azure if you interested in backend, they give you more chances, but not a must. and the IT job is highly in demand now I think, as I keep getting calls from HR and recruitors, even I am onboarding. They offer pretty good package like 80k-100k USD. so keep going.

2 Likes